Friday, September 10, 2010

The Point of No Return

I like Keen shoes for boys. They are all-terrain, waterproof and they hold up well. I can actually pass these down from brother to brother. Imagine that? Shoes my boys can't kill. Considering all this, I'm willing to pay the higher price to get these for my older boys.

It must be growing season around here because every son is wearing highwaters to church and they've all been complaining that their shoes are too tight. I ordered Simeon a new pair of Keen shoes, size EIGHT mens, which seems ridiculous, but that's how big his feet have gotten. We had a good laugh when they arrived, though, because a mix up occurred and we got a size eight, toddlers. They were the cutest little Keens and they fit Micah with just the right amount of growing room. Micah liked them. Worse, he needed new shoes and his feet are so wide, I hadn't had luck finding any. But who in their right mind would pay that much for toddler shoes?

So, I contacted Keen and we arranged for an exchange. It was a very simple process. All I had to do was print up the return label they emailed me and send the perfectly adorable shoes off. Somehow, it never happened. Leaving the house in a hurry the other morning, I grabbed the little Keens when I couldn't find Micah's beat up old sandals in time. He loved them, clompping around with pride. He even insisted he sleep with them on.

I don't know what I was thinking, actually I don't think I was thinking at all. Somehow I imagined though Micah was wearing these every day, I could still return them at any point. When is the point of no return? I didn't ask myself that question and just started considering these Micah's shoes. The wake up moment came when my husband was watching him walk around and commented, "He sure likes those shoes."

"He does," I said.

"How much were they, again?" he asked.

Oops.