Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lessons Learned (or Perhaps not)

Friends of ours from church invited us over as they had the day off school today on account of "Veterinarian's Day," as they told their mother. My kids started asking if they'd get the day off, too. I hadn't planned on it, as we generally go by a if-Jeremy-is-at-work-we're-schooling policy, with the exception of two months in the summer. But then, after stopping at the library last night and picking up some really great finds I thought a book reading morning was in order. It wasn't a day off, per se, as we read together from a great assortment of books for three hours straight. I don't often get to just sit and read with my kids anymore so this was a real treat for me, too, and we learned plenty. We spent the rest of the day with our friends--thank you P family--you are wonderful! Then, on the ride home we talked about veterans and who they are and what they have done for us. We prayed for them and their families. Turning in the driveway, we decided to check the mail from the van on account of the rain. No mail? Ah yes, the kids realized, the mailman has "Veterinarian's Day" off too.