Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Mary of the Snows

I went to church by myself tonight for confession and wound up staying for a Mass in honor of Mary of the Snows. I don't know if it was all the incense, the Latin prayers, the simple and sincere homily given by an elderly priest, or the fact that I was alone at Mass for once and really able to pray, but I got all teary eyed when father passed out sheet music and we sang an old hymn I had never heard before.

Ave Maria! Thou Virgin and Mother
Fondly thy children are calling to Thee;
Thine are the graces, unclaimed by another,
Sinless and beautiful, Star of the Sea.

Mater amabilis, ora pro nobis!
Pray for thy children who call upon thee;
Ave, sanctissima! Ave, purissima!
Sinless and beautiful, star of the sea!

Ave Maria! The night shades are falling;
softly our voices arise unto thee;
earth's lonely exiles for succor are calling,
Sinless and beautiful, star of the sea!


Read the rest here...