Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hello, my name is...

About a week ago, I was talking with a good friend and she made an analogy between self love and addiction. "We're all addicts," she said, "We are all so horribly addicted to ourselves." I liked the analogy immediately and it has only grown on me this past week as I think about the various ways I feed my own "addiction" to myself.

Whether we're looking for a "fix" in the form of attention, admiration, understanding, or affection there are million and one more ways we subtlety seek to satisfy ourselves. I found this week that if I think of myself as a junkie and self love as the poison that is keeping a fuller, healthier and happier life out of my reach, I am much more likely to recognize it in all its subtle forms and a little more able to resist it and pray with St Francis...

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood; as to understand,
to be loved; as to love with all my soul;
for it is in giving that we receive,
and in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

So, I thank my friend for her insight and pass it along with the hopes that it might bless someone else as it has me.