Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things vol. 3

Food and food gadget edition:

1. Jazz apples. They are a fairly new variety of apple grown in New Zealand, France and Washington state. Growing in popularity and availability, they are a blend of Braeburn and Gala and they express the best qualities of each. They've been called "aromatically succulent" and "jicima crisp." They are the perfect fresh eating apple and I call them "yummy."

2. Orville Redenbacher's Natural Popcorn line. My husband loves the Buttery Salt and Cracked Pepper variety and I go for the Garden Herb and Olive Oil. Good stuff.

3. Am I the only one who was unaware of can openers that work without leaving that deadly sharp edge on lid or can? We've broken a series of can openers lately (I don't know why) but in the end we got a Kuhn Rikon safety can opener and I love this thing! I understand many other brands make these safety can openers, too. My mother in law is the one who turned me onto these. She said Good Cook makes them. Anyway, this a good one even if it took me a while to figure out how it worked. I actually opened a can of beans on both ends before I realized I had opened it at all. Ha!