Saturday, January 24, 2009

Horizons

My Zachary is quite the reader. It's rather amazing, actually, how much he's managed to learn just by listening in on lessons intended for his older brothers. His older brothers, I should mention, were not as easy to teach. We certainly put our time in drilling phonics before Simeon took off on his own and the other boys, as might be expected, are still drilling and drilling. That's why I find Zachary's natural decoding skills so remarkable and also why I thought he could choose more difficult material when he asked to read to me yesterday from a kindergarten reader.

Sure, though, I told him. Use the easy reader. Why not? I make a point of not pushing him partly because I wouldn't want him to loose his love of learning and partly because I feel the imaginary play of a four year old is more important for his overall development than schoolwork. But then he started reading...

"A Note to Teachers and Parents," he began. "The Hor-i-zons Readers are to be used as a com-pan-ion to the Hor-i-zons Student Work-books... It is im-port-ant to ask quest-ions both before and after the story...Most kinder-garten students should not be ex-pec-ted to read these stories in-de-pend-ently."

I was already laughing to myself when I realized what he wanted to read to me from the Horizons reader "Ann's Cat," but that last line really got me.