Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things

My new favorite breakfast:

3/4 cup low fat, low sugar organic vanilla yogurt sprinkled with
2 Tbs. (small handful) whole almonds
1 Tbs whole flax seed and
2 Tbs maple syrup

This convenient, quick fix contains 375 calories, 12 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, 12 grams of fat, 2% DV Vitamin A, almost 50% DV for calcium, and 10% DV for iron. The protein, fat and fiber keep hunger away and my blood sugar stable throughout the morning. The fat is mostly heart healthy monounsaturated fat from the almonds and brain healthy Omega 3s from the flax. Convenient, nutritionaly dense, and I might add delicious. With the vitamin A and calcium, this is a great start to a nursing mother's day. Read more about nursing nutrition here.

Another of my favorite things these days is this handy little gadget. When the steamer on my cappucino maker broke, it broke my heart. I love cappucino and my body loves that I tend to use little, if any, sweetener in my coffee when I have frothed milk. I considered buying a new cappucino maker, but bought the Aerolatte for much less instead. This thing really works and it is much easier to use and clean than my old steamer. Now I can make cappucino again or hot chocolate or just top regular coffee with oodles of hot frothed milk whenever I please. Oh, life is good.