Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Girl in the Window

The Girl in the Window is the story of Danielle Lierow. It is the story of the extreme and unconscionable neglect of one family and the exemplary love of another. It is deeply touching, but also disturbing to read at times and so I would suggest you read it through to the end if you read it at all. This story has stayed with me for some time now and I thought to post it because I find myself showing more physical affection to my kids these days, ruffling their hair, rubbing their arms, stealing hugs, and letting them crawl up on my lap even though that place feels already occupied.


No one knew, really, what was wrong with her, or what she might be capable of.

"She was everything we didn't want," Bernie [her adoptive father] said.

But they couldn't forget those aching eyes.