Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Farewell to Zippy

Zippy was my husband's commuter car. He was a gift from my brother "D" who tried to kill the thing with poor maintenance. He was hoping to have a reason to get rid of a car he didn't like, but Zippy just wouldn't stop running. We needed a car at the time so, he very generously gave it to us rather than sell it or use it as a trade in. My husband was glad to take it and thought it was the perfect car to drive the 140 miles to and from his job in New York every day.

The boys named Zippy for his pick up and go and the way he seemed to just skirt around town compared to our old minivan. My husband appreciated Zippy. The boys loved Zippy. I tolerated Zippy. Zippy has torn up seats, scratched up sides from bike handles, a cracked windshield, and a trunk that hasn't opened since 2005.

With the upcoming move, I've really encouraged my husband to donate Zippy to a worthy cause. My husband wanted to sell him. I didn't think it would be worth the trouble. My husband did. He placed an ad that I read for the first time today...

Toyota Tercel, w 189,000 miles. Engine and timing belt replaced at 112K miles, with records available. I must sell within the next week because I am relocating for a new job (and my wife says I can't take the car).
I can't believe he put that last part in the ad.

Surprisingly, there's been overwhelming response to this ad and the car will probably go this weekend. Amazing. Goodbye Zippy. It's been nice not having a car payment. Thank you for that and I hope you are happy in your new driveway home and don't have to work so hard and can just die in peace.

In other news, there's a queen-sized box spring in my dining room. When we bought this house, we couldn't get it up the sub-sized stairwell and my brother "M" came over to disassemble it, haul it up the stairs and reassemble it in our bedroom. I remember this ordeal as a very difficult and trying experience that took several weeks to resolve and ever since then I've dreaded the sale of this house and the inevitable disassembly and reassembly of that thing all over again. That's why I decided to start the project early.

The fact is, I've done many, many household projects in the interim including, but not limited to, laying tile, replacing toilets and sinks, and insulating the attic (I was three months pregnant when we did that last one). I've learned to wield a power drill like Rosie the Riveter and I just didn't see how far a little experience gets you or how simple the box spring project truly was. Today, I took the thing apart and reassembled it in the dinning room by myself in less than an hour while drinking a cup of tea.

Great, hu? I thought so. But all my husband sees is that he'll be sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a week when I could have just done this on the day of the move. Oh well. It's a good thing we both have a sense of humor.