Thursday, December 20, 2007

Do You Notice Anything Different About Me?

Anything at all?

That's right.

You got it.

After spending all that money, I knew it would jump out at people right away. It's impossible not to notice, really.

But still, I am a little surprised that you can tell.

I guess getting a new furnace really is a big change. Especially when the old furnace was so very large.



The old furnace is on the left in the picture above and the new one is that little thing on the right with the cardboard box top.


Oh wait, that wasn't the whole of the old furnace in the picture above. There were also these two, huge parts. The plumbers that were here this morning assured me that these weighed about 300 and 400 pounds respectively. They had a heck of a time getting them out of my basement.

This project has been a long time coming.


I love my woodstove, but I feel like a new woman with a new central system. Just think, every time I have to show a plumber or electrician something in our basement he won't laugh and laugh and laugh anymore--he won't point out, after he catches his breath, how our heating system is so old it says "Air Conditioner" on the side of it, like heat is a luxury or something. He won't ask me what my heating bills are like or tell me that I could probably bake a cake in my pilot light.

We're just like other people, now, with regular basements and normal-sized furnaces. We live in New England and our central heating system is finally up to par. I feel so standard so average, so very common and it's an extraordinary feeling.