Friday, November 09, 2007

Science Friday

Life here is always exciting, but never has it been more announced than in recent weeks as my kids have grabbed on to a new phrase.

"Preeepare to be Amazed!" can be heard about fifty times a day, mostly in reference to the electronic invention-thingy they are...um...inventing?

Normally, I'd take a picture of it but since I can't I will attempt to describe this battery powered device. Imagine, if you will, a McCann's steel cut oatmeal tin turned upside down. On top of that are the pieces of wires, tabs and stuff taken from a small audio player once part of a cackling Halloween toy they trick-or-treated. There are several bolts as well, the top part of an outdoor hose, some bread ties, bottle caps, industrial staples, and a 12 watt light bulb. These things are all tangled up together and the boys are just trying to figure out how to attach the batteries to make this invention "work."

It is just a matter of time, I am sure. Gives me plenty of time to prepare to be amazed, anyway.

5 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

That's really cool! Big Brother would be impressed. When he was Simeon's age, chemistry was more his thing. I was forever running out of vinegar and baking soda....

MommaLlama said...

That is pretty funny... with three boys here (5, 6, and 7), we are nearing this stage. There are lots of, "Mommy you are never going to guess what I made..." goings on now, but give them another year and I am sure a fire extinguisher will be my weapon of choice for small electrical fires :-).

Johane said...

Hmmmm... Why do I have the feeling that my darling 10 year old would somehow fit right in with your little group of men? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that at 6 she wanted to build a robot that could walk up and down the stairs and do the dishes and laundry.

Like you said, we always need to be ready to be amazed.

Kristen Laurence said...

We really liked Meet the Robinsons, too. Not surprisingly it strikes a special chord in this house, but yes, the idea of inventing is very appealing to youngsters. I can see why the Temple boys are so inspired!

Alice Gunther said...

I wish my Patrick could spend the day with your boys. This would be right up his alley.

By the way, I notice something in your narrative no less impressive than your sons' inventing skills--steel cut Irish oatmeal! I love that, but it takes so long to make I usually by the quick cooking. Leave it to you to have the real McCoy! Er, I mean McCann!