Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Memories

All the best conversations happen after bedtime.

As I was sitting by Zachary's bed tonight listening to his thoughts on life, I had this sudden urge to freeze him in time. His little teeth, his light colored hair, his sweet, sophisticated way of talking. I'm probably thinking along these lines because Jacob lost yet another tooth today--you really do lose the little boy with the little boy teeth.

"You're my little Zachary," I told him.

"And Papa's, too," he added.

"Yea, well, we share you." I said and his eyes lit up as he suddenly remembered something. He took a deep breath and there was some explaining and hand gestures before I understood what he meant. He was remembering a summer day when my husband and I had taken either of his hands in ours and we were swinging him up in the air between us as we walked. This, to him, was the image of our shared love.

I often wonder what my children will remember of these years under our roof. I'm not always perfectly confident that it will be the kinds of things I want them to remember. It did my heart good to hear this little one's happy memory tonight.

6 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

That's so sweet! How wonderful that he will have a memory like that of his special, early days.

Julie said...

What a great memory... so sweet! And I know exactly what you mean about loosing the little boy/girl look with the missing baby teeth!

BTW, I enjoyed your timeline of shopping for a camera... what an afternoon!

Gabrielle said...

I think one of the things they will remember are very precious moments like this, right before they fall asleep. They might not remember specifics, but just the warm, safe quiet time to talk with Mom or Dad before bed. I notice with my teenage son that this is when he wants to ask the tough questions, and I think it's because we've taken this quiet time to talk before bed over the years.

Sue B. said...

That actually made me cry. Beautiful.

Kristen Laurence said...

That IS a happy memory for a little boy! :)

Stephanie said...

You know what else, Suzanne? A wonderful little gift that comes with a childhood that includes much time to just "be" is the gift of memory.

I've begun to suspect that without all the constant distraction and paying attention to some other person's agenda (the bell rang, it's time for recess, the teacher wants to interrupt just when you've gotten to the good part ...), the child doesn't have to learn a habit of forgetfulness. Honestly, I do think homeschooling gives this to our modern children in a way nothing else can do. They turn into grownups who can remember.