Monday, November 05, 2007

Explode the Code


I think it is worth mentioning that the makers of Wordly Wise also produce this valuable reading and writing phonics series, Explode the Code.

Though the "code" is the same for each, the process of reading,"decoding," and the process of spelling and writing, "encoding," are separate skills. Often, students who have learned to "decode" language are automatically able to "encode" using the same rules, but this isn't always the case.

Explode the Code is not meant to be a complete phonetic reading program or a spelling program, but a supplement to other programs that helps the student assimilate phonetic reading with proper spelling.

Readers with poor fluency may benefit from the extra phonetic practice and poor spellers only stand to gain from this series. On account of the humor and children's illustrations, my children find these books very appealing. There are no grade levels, but books one through eight are intended for use between the first and fourth grades.

8 comments:

Johane said...

Suzanne,

My eldest is dyslexic, and although she has received help to read and write, she struggles in english - which for us is a second language. Do you think that Explode the Code could be helpful for her? Although she is in grade 7 at school, the are about grade 4-5 level in english. She writes very phonetically. She can become che, mother = muthor, gray = grae... While she still struggles on occasion in french, our primary language, she is has precious little success in written english (her father is anglophone, so she surpasses everyone orally...)

Suzanne Temple said...

I think your daughter would benefit from this program. She wouldn't need to start in book one, I am sure as that is basic letter sounds, but maybe book three would be a good place to start. Here's a link to a page that explains which phonetic rules are practiced in each book.

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/program.asp?seriesonly=1460M

Stephanie said...

YES, Johane!!! I've got two out of three, and they're all grown up now, and I cannot possibly be a bigger proponent of the Educator's Publishing Service catalog - especially Explode the Code and Wordly Wise, but we also liked the ones that taught Greek and Latin roots. Keys: gentleness (remember that a dyslexic person cannot take in information if he/she is emotionally in upheaval - it's not a choice - it's a reality); short lessons (very important); and consistency (every day for 10 minutes is far far more effective than one day for thirty grueling and horrific tests of endurance).

Just my 7 cents worth or so ...

Suzanne Temple said...

Good points, Stephanie.

Johane said...

Thanks Suzanne and Stephanie. I'll look into it.

Sharon Christie said...

Thanks Suzanne. I've heard great things about this series. I think I need to get with it...and order some.

Crafty Mom said...

I love these books. I use them as review or extra practice after covering the skills. My daughter is able to complete them basically with no help (sometimes she doesn't know what a picture is), and she really learns from them.

We completed Book 1 1/2 in kindergarten, and are currently working on Book 3 for first grade. We will come back to book 2 after.

I highly recommend these, and am glad to see that the Wordly Wise is just as engaging.

Maureen Wittmann said...

I LOVE Explode the Code! I've used them with my severly dyslexic children and my kids who took off reading with no problems.