Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Unexpected

Last night I had an unexpected night out. I hadn't known I would be getting out for some time with friends. I remembered the plans late in the day and wasn't sure I would be able to swing it. It was unexpected, but happily it worked out.

I also didn't expect that my husband would take the occasion to make caramel apples for the boys while I was gone, but he did. There they were in all their sticky and potentially disastrous glory lined up on a baking sheet with their sticks upright like so many caramel bombs ticking. They were unexpected, but there they were.

I fully expected a messy kitchen when I came home, but it didn't happen. Counters were smooth to the touch as I ran my hands over them and floors showed no sign of caramel drippings. I saw no dishes or abandoned clothing. Everything was pretty much as I had left it. This was an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

But the story isn't over.

This morning, I encountered the unexpected again in the form of a half eaten caramel apple in the hamper entwined in shirts and underwear. Unexpected? Yes. Pleasant? No.

8 comments:

scmom (Barbara) said...

Ooooh. Yum?

Crafty Mom said...

That is definately an unpleasant surprise! But all the others sound absolutely wonderful. What a great husband to plan something fun with his boys.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

We mothers know that, in addition to being a stage, all the world is also a garbage can.

This is one of our children’s behaviors that we’re working on, of course. Hopefully by the time they are 18 they will have figured out that string cheese wrappers go in the wastebasket and dirty undies down the chute.

PS. Good for you getting out with the ladies like that. You deserve it.

Beck said...

I found half a sandwich mummified in the couch cushions the other day.
WHHHHY?

E. Connolly said...

That is hysterical.

Jill said...

This gave me a great case of the giggles today. It's just too cute. (For us who didn't have to deal with it!)

mopsy from lifenut said...

Love the imagery of the caramel bombs. And what nice surprises, until the very end. I find hampers often contain the unwelcome.

I don't think my kids have ever finished a caramel apple.

Michelle Halpin said...

Surely, as the mother of five boys, you have come to expect the unexpected! :)

Bummer about the clothes though...may I recommend Zout? I haven't found anything that stuff can't get out.