Thursday, October 04, 2007

Many a Post...

..has been brewing in my head.

Should I write about dirt, my arch enemy, and how I think it has finally conquered me? Dirt, I don't like you. You are so dirty...and so everywhere. I DEEP CLEANED for two whole weeks (not long ago it seems) to get rid of you and yet you are back. You are so NOT welcome but you are everywhere-- on my walls, on my children, on my floors, on my chairs, on my children...on my WALLS! OK, maybe I won't write about that.

Should I write about homeschooling and the Ferris Wheel Effect that I thought only applied to discipline of the children and my own spiritual life? I put the effort in, I concentrate, I plan, I pray and we make progress...up...and...up...and...up we go, reaching summits we never thought possible. It is so beau-ti-ful up here!...Wheeeeeeeeee...down we go and there is no more effort. It all goes so smoothly until we hit some predestined bottom where the stars are aligned just so and EVERYONE cracks all at once. Then, it is all about climbing again, but this time the novelty has worn off. Creep...Discipline...Work...Effort...Pain. It will pay me back, I know. I've done this enough times.

Or should I write about boys and the new theory I've hatched about how they are "rule blind." I don't mean they are disobedient-- I don't think they are. I think they just have some sort of inborn sense of natural authority and they just don't get rules. Rules, they reason, are for mothers and for our dear mother's peace of mind. They earnestly try to respect that, but they don't understand it any more than I understand their need to ride bikes barefoot. Just a theory...

...or, should I write about how things are actually going very well here. So well, in fact, that amidst the dirt and struggle and seemingly unrewarded effort of daily life, I am still able to see a larger picture--a picture of progress and growth that can't be marred by the pain it takes to accomplish it.

9 comments:

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

The Ferris Wheel effect... I like it.
And keeping the big picture in mind: may we ask for the grace of never let go of that! Thanks for the post!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

No, it is not that your boys are rule blind. It is just that they desire--absolutely desire, more than anything, more than fun, more than consequences--your sanctity, Suzanne. They know the great good that can be accomplished by inspiring your growth in patience.

Aren't they blessed little beings to be doing this for us? And isn't God good to have sent them? :)

Mary Poppins NOT said...

Yup, that pretty much sums up life. I can get very discouraged by the endless cycles of success and failure, but, the momentum is forward, be it ever so slow.

I look for GENERAL TRENDS and OVERALL EFFECT. The minutiae will plum exhaust you.

KC said...

Boy, I could've written this post, but I'm not as good a writer as you are.

E Caughron said...

Oh Suzanne, It is so often heartening to read about your boys. Rule blindness seems to be a disease we suufer from too. Sometimes I wonder just how they can forget what they were just told not to do, only minutes prior. And so innocently say, "Sorry Mom, I forgot." It is good to know rather than assume, that this is typical.

Suzanne Temple said...

Thanks all. I, too, like to know that I'm in good company and I see that I am.

Celeste said...

Uplifting to say the least. The big picture really matters!

God bless you!

Alice Gunther said...

Thank you for writing about all these things, Suzanne!

mel said...

Ferris wheel effect,,,I like it. :) I called it "Cat in the Hat Syndrome" on my blog...you know, "Look at me, look at me look at me now!" while you are juggling all those things in the air from up there on the ball....and then...well, you know. All the things fall! :)