Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Geography With Michael Palin

The funny thing is...I was just talking with some friends about interesting science and history documentaries when one woman asked, "Does anybody know any good geography films or audio? I really would like a video or audio that makes geography more interesting." There was an awkward silence followed by one woman's attempt to say that geography is more about maps and there just isn't any way to put that on audio or in a film. Hhmmm...

Michael Palin of Monty Python fame found a way. Palin's travels all over the globe can be followed in six BBC productions Around the World in 80 Days, Pole to Pole, Full Circle, Hemingway, Sahara, and Himalaya. A new series, New Europe with Michael Palin is being filmed now through the end of October. Palin's official travel site has information, pictures, and maps of the journeys documented in the films.

We have only watched the first of this series so far, and though it is far from fast paced, my children want to watch it again and again and again. We will most certainly get all the ones that are available from Netflix. Palin's running commentary throughout the series, while not of the Monty Python class of hilarity, is very witty and delightful. My children love these videos and who'd have thought it-- but I do, too.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh, Suzanne, thank you for this review! My oldest son is in a book group and next month they are reading Around the World in 80 Days. I was looking at these videos as a supplement, but wasn't sure if they would be child-appropriate. Now I know! Thanks so much! :)

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

I did not knwo about these! Thanks! I have a son who gets all of the Natl' Geographic movies from the library he is allowed to each time... he'll love this.

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

I just netflixed 'em!

Thank you!

scmom said...

I thought about this post all day yesterday. We've not focused as much on geograpy this year, even though it is my favorite subject. I just checked the library and they have most of his videos. Thanks for the tip.

Theresa said...

Excellent! Thanks for the reminder! My kids and I LOVED Pole to Pole when we watched it a couple of years ago. I don't know why I didn't think to get Around the World this year! This may be just the kick in the pants our geography study needs!

Matilda said...

I wanted to tell you that we just finished watching the first disc tonight and surprisingly, it is my daughters who are chomping at the bit for the next one which should arrive tomorrow thank goodness! Thank you for you recommendation!