Wednesday, September 26, 2007

G.I. Joe or Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program

This just in...G.I Joe inspires virtue around here like nobody's business.

My oldest child just earned the reward of his choice after filling his pom pom jar with the tangible evidence of his hard work in the areas he most needed to improve. This child was looking for ways to help out in order to cinch the deal and finally get his hard earned paratrooper.

"What can I do to help?" he asked me sweetly this morning.

"Uh..let's see...you could wipe the table down after breakfast."

"Thank you, Mama, I am glad to help. I will do these things even after I get my G.I. Joe."

"You will?" I said incredulously.

"Yes. Oh, yes. I mean...I should. I should do these things anyway, right?"

Well sure. It's hard to argue with that. But I thought to warn him,

"It is very easy to make promises when you are happy and about to be rewarded, but it is very difficult to keep such promises."

"Is it? That's too bad. I wish I could always be so good."

And I wish I could be as well, dear child... I wish I could be as well.

4 comments:

E Caughron said...

I am so glad you are using these again. I stumbled across your blog just about the time you got these and was trying to remember how they were used. I think I have to run and get some pompoms tomorrow. :-) I hope they work as well in my house.

Suzanne Temple said...

They really have worked erin. You need to keep on top of it and not forget about it yourself, but they have been a great motivation around here and can be thanked for many, many improvements.

Beck said...

I LOVE the pompom jar idea! I really hope that will work at our house, too.

Jane Ramsey said...

Sweet boy! And great idea!