Friday, September 28, 2007

Deep Thoughts Between Burps

We are in the process of sealing our driveway. It hasn't been done probably ever-- and so it is a big job. We've filled the cracks once, applied the sealant, and realized we need to fill the cracks again before applying a final coat.

This project seems like it has been going for ages, with the boys wearing its unwashable black stains on their skin. Many a short sleeved shirt and pair of shorts has had to be thrown away as well. Sigh...Today, I thought I'd hurry it along and so I started work on it when all the children seemed absorbed in their own projects and games.

After a long while Jacob came out with a can of soda, "Can I have this?" he asked.

"Sure," I said, "but only if you stay out here with me where others won't see you drinking it and want one of their own," and that was the best decision I made all day.

Instead of working in silence, I had the pleasure of listening to Jacob's interesting thoughts spoken between his soda induced burps. He said things like...

"I can't count to one hundred, but some day I will be able to. You can count to one hun-(bbbuuuurrrp)-dred, Mama, and there is even such thing as one thousand and that's bigger. I think you could count to one thousand, but it would take you all day and you would have to do your chores late at night because you would have spent your whole day counting. So, in one way you can count to one thousand but in another way you really can't...Burrrrp...I think people who don't have chores could count to one thousand."

"I'm not sure if there's such things as dra-(buuurrrrp)-gons. I don't think there is such things as giants because they are so BIG and if there were such thing as 'em, I probably would have seen one. Maybe there is such thing as leprechauns because they are small and so even though I have never seen one, they...buuurrrp...might still exist."

and...

"You got married to Papa in the olden days-- I know because I saw pictures of it...buuurrrp... and everything was black and white. You were not my mother then. I must have had a different mother, but I can't remember her at all."

12 comments:

scmom said...

I hope you can show this to his wife one day. That is classic!

Johane said...

You can tell Jacob that I once met a leprechaun. He was not mean like some of the stories say though. He was very very nice and he loved to laugh. I don't remember his name because I met him over 20 years ago. He didn't have a pot of gold, but I'm sure that his heart was pure gold because he was one of those special gifts from God that only sees the good in life.

He had a head full of fire red hair, a large forehead, deep green eyes, a strong jaw and chin, short legs, short arms and the biggest sense of humour I've ever seen.

Dragons I don't know about, and there was that one great french giant... but I know in my heart that I have once met a real life leprechaun. I hope that Jacob gets to meet one too.

Jennie C. said...

I love the last part about his other mother. Very cute.

Jennie C. said...

Oh! Our most profound wondering today, after we determined that emperor penquins are somewhere between a Jonny and a Rosie tall, but twice as heavy, was whether or not Mr. Monopoly is related to the Pringles man. We think he is.

Suzanne Temple said...

That is just too funny, jennie. I never once considered the relation between Mr Monopoly and the Pringles man, but now that you say it, I am certain they are at least first cousins.

Cheryl M. said...

Tell Jacob I saw a Komodo Dragon today at the zoo - a very curious little Komodo - with very long claws....:)

Michelle Halpin said...

..."Sure," I said, "but only if you stay out here with me where others won't see you drinking it and want one of their own," ...

Glad I'm not the only mother who says things like this! :)

Thanks for the smile, Suzanne...Jack regales me with such soliloquies, too. I love it!

E Caughron said...

Sounds like you have a philospher on your hands at age five! (I think it is in his genes.) It was just too cute, I smiled from ear to ear the whole way through.

Kristen Laurence said...

That is so sweet.

Love2Learn Mom said...

I love it!

Ann Horan said...

This is hilarious. Isn't is great when you get a moment alone with just one kid!!

Jane Ramsey said...

Such a sweet conversation. I would have loved to be listening in, although I probably would have busted out in laughter at the end. They are sooo earnest in their ponderings, no matter how ridiculous (to us) the subject! :-)