Monday, August 20, 2007

You've Got Mail

Was it Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, or Stuart Little? Perhaps I've been reading too much children's literature or watching too many movies like Miss Potter, Ratatouille or Pan's Labyrinth, but I just had the strangest thought sequence.

From my bedroom upstairs I overheard a conversation between Zachary and Nicholas. "Nicholas, Nicholas, can you see me?" Zachary was asking in a tin-canny voice. Nicholas responded between giggles, "[Where] are you, Zacky? [Where] are you?"

Thinking it strange that both voices came from the foyer, but one child wasn't able to see the other-- and wondering why the voice of this invisible child seemed to echo, I went downstairs to investigate. I found Nicholas circling the foyer and Zachary greeted me from every direction at once "Hello Mama" but he was nowhere to be seen. "Where are you, Zachary?" I asked myself aloud.

"Right here," he said as my eyes fell on the coat closet. "Oh, you're in here," I laughed and opened the door to end the game, but when I swept the coats aside I was surprised to find the closet empty. My first thought at this point--and yes, I do know this is crazy--but it truly was my very first thought and even seemed to make a kind of tragic sense at the time, my first thought was that he had been shrunk. Maybe he was a mouse or maybe not but he was somehow very, very small and hiding behind the umbrella tip or shouting to me from a pocket of a coat in this closet.

Now, I'm not really crazy and so I didn't stay with this line of thinking very long. I stepped back and tried to consider, if not the closet, where? I scanned the small foyer and wondered, could he have discovered some secret doorway or passage through the walls? But that seemed almost as crazy as my shrinking theory. "I'm right here," he said again and my heart jumped to my throat because I'd thought of the heating vent. Now, that was not an entirely impossible scenario and it frightened me. "Are you in there, Zachary?" I asked in the direction of the grate.

That's when Nicholas tugged my pants and pointed, "Zacky right dere" he said. I turned and saw this...


Zachary was speaking to us through the mail slot in the front door that I hardly ever think about because it isn't used and I usually have it stuffed with cloth to keep out the draft. Mystery solved...and now I'm off to read some non-fiction or watch a documentary or do some math or something disciplined, logical and very left brained.

12 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

Very funny! What creative boys.

Jennie C. said...

Very, very funny!

Johane said...

ROFL!!! I'm laughing with you, the kids have pulled this kind of stunt on me often... Sometimes it's good to live in an adult world... But most times it's great to live in a child's world! ;)

scmom said...

How funny! I have had a few moments like that, where I could hear the child's voice, but not see them, and I immediately think of the movie Poltergeist -- and that's a creepy feeling. I'm thinking you may experience this a few more times before the boys get bored with it. I'll bet they loved your reaction!

Melanie B said...

Very funny!

Beck said...

Hahah! I used to have weird, disconcerted thoughts like that when THe Baby was very, very small - I would nurse her in the middle of the night and NOT BE ABLE TO REMEMBER which of my three kids she was. Poor tired out me.

freddie said...

I cant' stop laughing, it must have been fantastic; i mean I would have had your thoughts just like you had, but I've just finished to read Harry Potter last book...
ciao from Rome
freddie

Kimberlee said...

Ah, yes - Kidlit Brain! The worst was when I read Start Little while I was pregnant and dreamt I had a mouse. Glad your boys keep you so well entertained. :-)

Suzanne Temple said...

Ah yes, kimberlee, don't get me started on pregnancy dreams. I'll give you all nightmares. "Kidlit Brain" is a good term--one I'll have to remember.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

On a semi-non-related note:

Did you like Pan's Labryinth? Because when your sister recommended it I was like, "Wha?!"

I thought it looked totally freaky, gruesome and gross, and that it should be avoided at all cost.

Your opinion, please.

Suzanne Temple said...

Margaret,

I couldn't recommend this film. I found it weird, disturbing and violent. There were some interesting things about it, but not enough for this sensitive viewer.

Erin said...

Soo funny. lol. I can however understand your thought process;)