Monday, August 13, 2007

One Woman's Trash is Five Boys' Arsenal

About two weeks ago, I threw away a chair that looked very much like the one pictured above, but with broken spindles. By "threw away" I mean that I placed it in the garage near where the boys keep all their tools expecting my husband to take it out to the street that Friday. Before the end of the week, I noticed that a dozen nails or so had been hammered into its seat. The chair didn't go out with the trash that Friday.

Sometime in the middle of the following week I noticed someone had sawed the legs off the chair and removed the back entirely. These chair parts didn't go out with last Friday's trash either. The boys were pretty busy in the garage over the weekend and today they showed me the arsenal they had been building. These names are theirs. Believe me, I don't know anything about weapons.

Simeon models the Panzerfaust.


Jacob and Alex with Machine Guns


This is some sort of hand held automatic weapon, where that one piece rotates completely around.

Last, but not least, the Thompson.

And all I ever saw was a broken chair.

20 comments:

ryan m. said...

Ha!

Well, at least they're cute even when armed.

Colleen said...

I feel like I just saw images of the future with my two boys. I have a lot to learn!

mel said...

I love it! Very inventive and resourceful! :)

Johane said...

See now for us, this would be an example of the gender divide... My girls would never have picked up a broken chair and made weapons out of it.

Mind you, your boys show us that anything can be recycled. ;)

Meredith said...

That is the ultimate in creative reuse!

Kimberly said...

Way cute, and all too familiar!

I cannot tell you how many Lego and k'Nex weapons we have lying around the house! And all are special and simply must be kept together! (rolling eyes)

Kristen Laurence said...

Simeon looks so big in these pictures!

Beck said...

Ah, the limitations of my female mind - I too would have just seen the broken chair.

Mary Ellen Barrett said...

Totally cool!

Renee Moore said...

No matter what, boys will be boys...

They are very cute and talented.

Candace said...

There's nothing more motivating than young creative minds, is there? I grew up with a bunch of boys - one sister ten years my senior and one sister twelve years my junior, but four brothers close in age. Now I have two girls, and now I feel inadequate to handle little girls!

Muddy Mama said...

My mom used to say that if you didn't let boys play with toy guns, they would pretend that sticks were guns and play with those. And if you took away the sticks they would use their fingers.

As mom to both boys and girls I can attest to the truth of that. My boys do indeed make "guns" out of sticks and they would have loved taking apart that chair to make more.

My daughters, on the other hand, would have used the chair pieces to make doll furniture.

Jill said...

I love getting a glimpse of my future. :)

Cheryl M. said...

HA HA HA! I'm sitting here laughing! :))))

Jane Ramsey said...

Suzanne, you must get tired of me telling you that the same exact things that happen at your house also happen at mine, so I won't say it this time...but I'm smiling! :-)

Suzanne Temple said...

Thanks all!

And jane, I never get tired of your kind comments and observations.

Cay said...

LOL!
The subject line alone had me roaring with laughter.
The pictures are priceless.

Ritsumei said...

Note to self: when the time comes, let the Monkey play with broken chairs. This is too funny!

vicki said...

I get a kick out of how similar boys can be. My boys will turn anything into a weapon. It's usually a pretend weapon, but unfortunately not always!

Donna said...

I can so relate, I have 4 boys of my own and they can turn anything into a weapon of destruction! But I love being the queen of the house--do you???