Monday, August 27, 2007

And That Brings Us Back to "Do"

It's my one year Blogaversary!


I thought it might be fun to repost some of the photos from my earliest archives to remember the beginning of Blessed Among Men.


My earliest readers will remember this picture as the first I ever posted of all five boys together, and the only one of them in the buff! I posted it with our rendition of a Shel Silverstein poem, "There's too Many [boys] in this Tub."


This was our motivational poster at the start of the 2006 homeschool year. I think I'll keep the motto for this year, too.


Ah yes...this picture. My most faithful readers will remember that this happened on my birthday/anniversary. I knew I would be able to laugh about it some day. That day is finally here.

Now here are a few things I found in my drafts that never made it to publication...

I was planning to use this little bit of clip art in a post where I received the "Thinking Blogger Award." I guess I thought the better of it...

I'm not sure why I never posted this. I wrote this after the boys had wandered into the woods beyond hearing range without permission. Jeremy was out of town at the time and I think I must have been still too upset to post about it, even in humor.

GRIPING WITH PHONICS

Someone in this house has lost some privileges-- as in most of his privileges-- because he recently and unthinkingly abused them and caused his mother great anxiety. As a result, someone is griping about the great lack of things he can still do, but at least he's griping creatively...

Someone: (pretending to read his phonics cards, hoping I'd hear) /e/ as in me, /oo/ as in do, /wh/ as in what? /m/ as in I'm, /-ord/ as in bored, /-ing /as in nothing...

Me: I've got plenty of /-ors/ as in chores!

Someone smiles. He's a sweet kid. Unthinking sometimes, but sweet.

* * *

I guess I didn't think this was funny enough to post, but it is cute and so very like Jacob.

THINKING PINK

I purchased pool goggles for all the boys and tried to get different colors so they would know whose were whose. There weren't that many colors to choose from and so I had to buy a pair that was pink and purple. That was a mistake. Nobody wanted the "girly" pair. I half suggested returning them and getting another green pair or blue, but Jacob had a different idea.

"Why don't we just keep the pink goggles and get a girl?"

* * *
And this one scored too high on the gross factor to post originally. Here it is now in an effort to keep it real...

NEW HOUSE RULE

One I never thought I'd have to make. Move on if you're faint of heart...

Rule: No exchanging boogers with you brother, even if he wants to.

* * *

Thanks for reading! I love you people!

35 comments:

E Caughron said...

HIlarious, just hilarious Suzanne! And we are all so glad that you do just keep on blogging!

Diane said...

These are great, Suzanne. I'm so glad you shared them. I think my favorite is that sweet, bothered face in the front of the tub. Too cute!

You are blessed...and so are we.

Jamie said...

Congratulations Suzanne!! It feels much longer than a year, I feel like I've known you forever!!
Keep it up, you bring so much good to so many!
God Bless you!

Johane said...

Happy Blogaversary! :D

Re: New rule... Ah Yes! Rules for boys... I never understood some of the rules we had at home. Now I know that they were 100% aimed at the 3 boys in the family and not the 2 girls...

Jen said...

Happy anniversary! I always love coming here and taking a peek into your fun and exciting home.

Barb, sfo said...

Happy Anniversary! And do keep it real! This way the rest of us who have boys will feel like we're in good company :)

scmom said...

God knew just what He was doing giving you all those boys. You are perfect for them (or they are perfect for you). Happy Anniversary!!

Cheryl said...

Suzanne, I really love your blog. Happy one year!

Matilda said...

Happy Blogiversary! You are the only person to whom I can say... I remember when it all began! Thank you for sharing those little men and their beautiful mommy!

Renee Moore said...

I love your blog.... Happy 1 year.... looking forward for another great year....

Crafty Mom said...

Congratulations!! And that booger story is too gross.

ryan m. said...

Hear, hear -- thank you for the great writing and photos!

"Why don't we just keep the pink goggles and get a girl?"

Ha!

Beck said...

Gaaag. The Baby always offers to share her boogers with me, but I always have to turn her down. Ick ick ick.
Look at all the boys in that tub!
Happy blogiversary to you! I'm so glad you write.

Cheryl M. said...

Ha Ha Ha!!! Happy Blogaversary, Suzanne! I love coming here too...makes me think of growing up with my five younger brothers!! :)

muddy mama said...

Happy, happy blogaversary! I have enjoyed every moment of it!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Happy Blogaversary to one of my favorite blogging mommies!!!

Here's to keeping it real, keeping it balanced, keeping it fun, and keeping it happy.

Maybe not all at the same time, of course, but you know what I mean.

We love you!

Julie said...

Happy Anniversary... so glad I found your blog!

mopsy from lifenut said...

Happy to have found you! Love your blog.

betty said...

Happy Blogaversary! Loved the pics again! Loved the reminising!

Mary Poppins NOT said...

It's been such a pleasure getting the glimpses you give me into your life. I especially love how you make me want to be a better mom. keep it up!

Meredith said...

Happy aniversary!!! LOVE all the pics!

Stephanie said...

Okay, Griping With Phonics is just about the most delicious thing ever. LOL!!! Really quite perfect, that one.

Jen in Maine said...

Suzanne,
I can't tell you how much I enjoy your blog. My husband thinks it's crazy that I get so much enjoyment out of looking into the daily life of a family that I've never met, but that's the truth. Happy blogaversary (this day also happens to be my parents 53rd anniversary).

Aimee said...

Happy Blogaversary, and here's to many more :)

Karen E. said...

Happy Blogaversary! And many happy blogging returns!

Sue said...

Congrats Suzanne! Your blog is awesome.

By the way, I suffer with you on the broken things issue. I knew that the "pock marks" on my once beautiful front entryway table must have been caused by the meat tenderizer. Today I saw who done it when he repeated it. The table will only cost another $300 to refinish again, and I threw out the meat mallet. ~sigh~

And with the new van, don't let children under five near the tape deck and heater/AC controls if there's a deep change holder nearby that's full of change.

Jane Ramsey said...

Happy Blogiversary, Suzanne!
What a wonderful year it has been!
I'm so glad I've gotten to know you and your family.

freddie said...

fantastic blog, wonderful pics, great family!
thanks for sharing
freddie

Love2Learn Mom said...

Congratulations! Sure enjoy having you around the blogosphere. :)

Kristen Laurence said...

Congratulations, dear friend. I hope you'll keep posting for a long time. It's been so nice to "watch" the every day goings-on at the Temple household, and I love seeing those wonderful boys of yours!

"We'll drink a cup of kindness yet, for Auld Lang Syne!"

Lillian said...

Happy Blogiversary! I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I've only got the one boy but your blog puts it all perspective for me.

I have more than enough girls for your pink goggles!!

Kimberlee said...

Happy, happy Bloggaversary! We are all so very happy you are here! And as you know, I only have little boys in my dreams so I do so enjoy, with poingnant pangs of course, that you so kindly share yours!Love, Kimberlee

Suzanne Temple said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I tried to email each of you individually, but some emails were undeliverable, so I say thank you here!

Laura said...

Hooray for a great year of you! And may your van be a faithful and true companion in the years ahead! (I love my van!)

Abigail said...

Thank you so much for your hard work on this blog. I've loved reading it this past year. Your post helped me find my favorite bread recipe (the braided bread one I make with my four year old) and helped me find a sense of humor when my 2 year old son ripped the handle off of our rented fridge. He thought the handle made a great light-saber. I was about to really lose my mind thinking about our lost security deposit. Then I just stopped mid-worry and thought "this is my shower curtain rod moment!"