Thursday, July 19, 2007

Trouble Brings More Trouble

My very first first post to this blog was more of a vent. Simeon had ripped our shower curtain rod out of the bathroom wall and I had just discovered that not just any ol' shower rod could replace it, but that our tub required a Neo-Angle shower rod. Incidentally, that word grouping "Neo-Angle shower rod" draws a considerable amount of traffic to my blog every month. I guess we're not the only special family with a special tub, but I bet we're one of the few with a special BLUE square tub.
In any case, we dropped that $200.00 or so on that Neo Angle rod only to find that the quality of these new/vintage materials is far, far less than the originals. No surprise there, really, but it left us with a sagging middle on our enormously long rod. Neo angle indeed, as in obtuse rather than right. Since the weight of the sagging middle was slowly pulling the hardware from the walls, we supported the rod with a handy little chain that attaches to a hook and screws into the ceiling. Nifty, right?

Only trouble is, our new system fails the boys' durability test. Now my only hope is to find some way to keep the boys from hanging on that highly tempting ubiquitous shower curtain every night when I send them to brush their teeth. So far, nagging hasn't gotten me the results I need. I'm thinking more along the lines of a repellent spray for the curtain itself. Do you think I could find a broccoli scented room spray? How about quiche?

11 comments:

mel said...

Heehee...that picture of your ceiling is great. Oh, that would drive me crazy. Maybe make one diligent child the "shower curtain police" in charge of reminding everyone to keep off!? :)

You're poem was really cute, btw...

Cheryl M. said...

Suzanne - the shower rod situation would drive me insane...yes, insane! I'm thinking I would get a longer chain or better yet a thin rod to send thru the ceiling and bolt into a 2X4 or 4X6...whatever your ceiling is attached to...that rod would not even think of sagging and each boy could take a turn pretending he is Tarzan during teeth brushing time. Do you want me to send my dad and his toolkit??? :)

Anonymous said...

What you need is an over-prickly shower curtain! Or ... maybe something a bit more anchored into the ceiling - like this: http://www.clawfootsupply.com/style106

Kristen Laurence said...

Oh no! Do you need a shower curtain? I think I might just take it down altogether.

Alice Gunther said...

We had one of these in our house. It lasted about one or two weeks (from the time we moved in) and the girls had it down. We finally removed it a few months afterward. Four years later, it still isn't replaced!!!

Beck said...

I don't have a shower rod problem, but I do have a shower curtain problem - our upstairs shower curtain has a nasty habit of getting funky and moldy, at which point I throw it out and by another CHEAP shower curtain. My husband decided that this was a frivolous waste of money and has taken to punching holes in vast sheets of sheer plastic.... voila, homemade shower curtains.
They look as good as they sound.

Suzanne Temple said...

Oh Cheryl, I've been waiting for your Dad and his toolkit for a long, long time. Where has he been? Send him ASAP and tell him to expect to stay a couple of weeks. I'll feed him well.

Cheryl M. said...

He would love to escape our heat, humidity and rain! He does like to eat! ;)

Muddy Mama said...

Finding an overhead stud to anchor to sounds like a great idea.

And if you ever find that broccoli spray repellant, PLEASE! let us know!

My shower curtain is holding up okay, but all the other curtain rods in our home are bent in the middle.

I have actually caught my boys hanging onto the curtains, pulling them downward - hard. When I scold them they give me a puzzled look and say something like, "Huh? What curtain? Where?"

Jill said...

I like the curtain police idea from Mel. That's pretty funny.
My boys somehow managed to pull down their curtain rod and curtains from their bedroom the other day. It was nap time, so I didn't suspect anything. That is, until I heard a banging noise and found one boy 'hammering' with a giant rod, and the other playing peek-a-boo under the curtain. What gives!?

ron said...

I would suggest replacing the shower with a bath tub. Check out the tubs at www.bathtubsfactorydirect.com the prices are great