Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Blueberries For Us

Caldecott Honor book, Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey is a whole-family favorite book at this house and it comes back in season every July.

We enjoyed it again this year with our favorite fresh blueberry scones as an afternoon snack and read aloud.

That little Sal can't seem to stop putting handfuls of the delicious berries in her mouth.

We can relate.

The scone recipe can be found at The Virtual Kitchen today.
Remember to send me your recipes for the Blueberry Bash taking place next Tuesday at The Virtual Kitchen. Send them to me by email or in the combox below.

10 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

Yum! That's funny, we're reading (and listening to) Blueberries For Sal right now too!

Beck said...

We went blueberry picking yesterday afternoon! IT was lovely, except for me nearly getting sunstroke AGAIN....

Crafty Mom said...

I am so jealous. I have been hoping to go blueberry or strawberry picking since I was a kid.

All the plans to finally go with my own kids this year fell apart due to the drought and late freezes in Ohio.

I guess I will have to live vicariously. Thanks for the delicious recipe. Store bought blueberries work just as well.

Julie said...

Looks delicious... I definitely need to check to see if our local farms are picking blueberries yet!

Jen said...

We just read "Blueberries for Sal" and my oldest loved it. She wants to can blueberries next year. Now I just have to figure out how to do that. :-) Great post. I'll have to stop by the Virtual Kitchen.

Joyful Days said...

One of our very favorite books! The scones look awesome!

Cindy said...

Oh! I was just thinking about what we are going to do with this book this year. Thanks for the ideas.

Cheryl M. said...

Delicious! Scones, Book, and Kids! :)

Meredith said...

Here's a post from last summer's blueberry excursion, sadly we didn't get to it this year, but might be fun for your Virtual Kitchen for next week: http://happyheartsmom.typepad.com/sweetness_and_light/2006/07/blueberries.html

Blessings!

Jane Ramsey said...

Looks great. I'll have to try that recipe. So...when's the BLACKBERRY festival? (I guess it's a little late for this summer...maybe next year?)