Thursday, June 21, 2007

Space

Space. It is a precious commodity around here. There just isn't much of it. Every corner counts when a house has reached the limits of comfortable capacity and children zip about like sub atomic particles. Space is a precious thing.

The people who sold us this house were moving out, they told us, because they had three boys and the house just wasn't large enough for them. Perhaps it wasn't. Living here with five sons has been an exercise in domestic creativity. The perennial question: How do I use every inch of this home and design every room to serve us with purpose, simplicity, and hopefully a little style? I've had some great successes....

...like the time I fit two toddler beds AND a crib into a nursery-sized bedroom and managed to not only find places for everything, but to do so with a certain simple and clean-looking style that prevents the feeling of congestion you might expect...





...and I've had some great failures,

but on the whole we have done quite well and the trials we've faced on account of limited space have only made us feel the hand of Providence more appreciably.

Take, for example, the space beneath the dormer in our bedroom. It is the perfect size for our baby bassinet. We were expecting our fourth son when we moved into this house and so the bassinet took it's rightful place immediately. It wasn't long after Zachary moved out of it that Nicholas was born and so the bassinet graced that space for some time.

When Nicholas moved on to a crib later, we moved the bassinet to the basement and my nightstand into the empty space beneath the dormer. With a hat box on top the look was fine, but I missed my nightstand. We've moved it back beside the bed where I can use it, leaving the space beneath the dormer empty. Obviously empty. It is something of a focal point for the room and so the lack of anything there is pronounced.

Space is a precious thing around here and shouldn't be wasted. My husband has talked about buying a chair and a lamp to put there for reading. That seems like a good enough idea, but I won't do it. I haven't looked at chairs or even planned to find a lamp we'd like because though we aren't expecting now and though this longer time since Nicholas' birth has been a good thing for our family, every time I walk into this room and see that bassinet-shaped space I cannot help but feel glad for it because it mirrors a similar space in my heart.

9 comments:

Mary Poppins NOT said...

Yeah, I have a space the same size in my heart. I know what you mean.

Kimberlee said...

As you have taken delight in the Lord, may He grant you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)

Kimmie said...

Funny thing is that there seems never to be enough space...LOL. We moved to a bigger home 2 years ago (because we knew that God had more children for us to adopt, and that we would need the space)...well 2 years later he has already added 3 more children (now there are 6)...the people that built our home had 2, they sold to another family who had 1, they stopped by to take a peak at their old "space" and were surprised to learn that it was a blessing to us with our crew. God is good and the giver of wisdom and creativity...to which I am very thankful!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted (working on #7 from Guatemala this time...come meet us!)

Amelia Marie said...

I have that same space. My husband says that he doesn't but when we were going throught the maternity clothes this weekend He said "maybe you should keep that one".

Goslyn said...

Ah, Suzanne, I hope the Lord grants you the desires of your heart!

Jennie C. said...

That's so sweet. People always ask me if Penelope is our last. And I always tell them, "She's our last so far!" Whether we have more or not, I just can't imagine living as though we were "done".

Jen said...

Beautiful post. We too are asked alot if we are done. I can't imagine ever closing up that space in my heart.

Johane said...

I'm in a different place. When DD#4 was born, I knew she was the last one for us. Although I know well the feeling that you write about...

Jamie said...

Oh, what a heartfelt post by us all!! That space God put in our motherly hearts, what a gift. When asked when my baby #4 is our last, I always say "I hope not!" The look on those peoples' faces makes up for the rude comment, it gives me a little satisfaction! Thanks for the great tear jerking post, Suzanne!