Friday, June 22, 2007

Rubber Bands


...THAT's what little boys are made of.

One of the older boys accidentally closed his younger brother's arm in the van door when we were heading out to the pool today. The door closed completely-- it latched. The older boy was horrified when he saw what he had done. I felt sick.

The one who had closed the door opened it again as I ran around the van from the driver's side. The injured boy was stunned for a moment, but then his face showed the pain he felt. The older brother was mortified and stepped away, covered his face with his hands and I heard him say, "All I ever do is cause trouble."

While comforting the injured son I said to the other, "That's not true-- you were trying to help." That one sentence was enough to give him back his courage. He reached out to his younger brother. I stepped out of the way and as the two brothers held each other, the injured one seemed to feel better. Relieved, the other bounced back to good humor as well and it appeared as though we wouldn't be heading to the ER as I had been imagining.

I watched the arm closely, but after a full day at the pool it still seems strong. Closed in a van door, and all he has to show for it is a slight indentation and some scraped skin.

Made out of rubber bands, I tell you.

13 comments:

ryan m. said...

Ouch! That's amazing. Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.

Kimberlee said...

Praise God!

Jill said...

Your boys are made out of rubber bands and pure sweetness. God bless them!

Jamie said...

Those angels are working overtime!! Thank God! Love how you noticed the older brothers comment and fixed that, you are a wonderful mother!

Johane said...

THANK GOD! Like someone said, His angels were working overtime on this one.

Christine said...

The same thing happened to my then one year old about a year ago. Only, I was the one who shut the door. His arm was swollen and indented. He was screaming. A nurse in the parking lot came over, looked at his arm, and told me that I better take him to the ER immediately. I was praying and heading to the ER, when my son decided he wanted my cell phone. I gave it to him (the first time he had ever obtained it with permission) and he stopped crying instantly. His arm was fine. Boys truly are made like rubber bands.

freddie said...

AAAHHH I can feel the pain, I think the more I get older the more I change into a wooden trunk... my arm would have just been chopped... aaahhhh
Ciao from Rome
freddie

Kristen Laurence said...

I had to check to see if that was Mr. Kelly above!

Those boys are so sweet. I could hear the older boy's discouraged voice and imagine the disappointed look on his face when he made that comment. What a humble sweetheart!

Crafty Mom said...

Another reason to be thankful for my Honda's magic doors. They open instantaneously when they hit an object, even a small finger. I know, I've tried.

So glad everyone is doing well, and out of rubber bands they truly must be.

Jen said...

The older boys comment brought me to tears at first, then I really got teary eyed at how gentle and loving you were and how they comforted each other. What love! And, I am shocked his arm is doing so well! Good thing though...ER are trips are never easy, or fun. Glad everyone is okay.

keri said...

I'm enjoying your blog.
I have a story recommendation...
'The Hero of Indian Cliff' about true brotherhood. I read it to my boys who enjoyed it much.
I read it from the Children's Treasury of Virtues.

Suzanne Temple said...

Thanks Keri, we have that treasury, though I don't remember that story particularly well. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks.

Goslyn said...

So glad everyone is ok. What a scary - but touching - story.