Saturday, June 23, 2007

Little Shop Horrors

This is "Chops" our new pet Venus Flytrap. If you can't have a dog, a carnivorous plant is the next best thing. Chops won't catch a frisbee, but is a dog a living death trap for small insects? I don't think so.

Chops is a pretty neat pet both in the sense that he's fun to have around and that he doesn't need to be house trained. He isn't our first pet Flytrap though-- our first met with an untimely and unfortunate demise a few years back when the boys fed it ham and cheese. The pieces were too large and so they stuck out of the plant's "mouths." Outside the air tight traps, the ham was susceptible to bacteria and mold. Eventually, the rot spread to the plant itself and turned it black.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't bite off more than you can hermetically seal.

7 comments:

Mom to Four said...

Too hilarious, Suzanne!

And I must say that sounds just like the kind of pet I have been looking for! Just last week at Kroger my husband requested a new fly swatter - they were out! I think I found a solution.

Diane said...

I think I will keep my cocker spaniels but what a great post !

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Interesting and funny!

Kristen Laurence said...

Hilarious! Those things are so fun to observe.

Kimberlee said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEW! In a wonderful educational interesting sort of way, of course.

Ruth said...

This is funny. This little "pet" is next on my list, since I can't keep up with the flies any longer : )

jerseygirlmama said...

Can you believe these are native to where I live in Southeastern NC and are protected in the wild. So are another carnivorous plant called a pitcher plant (I can't remember what they eat, but I think it is a type of insect too). I had three or four of these as a teenager (I'm a weird girl, I know) because I thought they looked cool and are low maintainence. Strangely enough, none of mine died from feeding it ham and cheese but they would all close on actual flies and then never open back up! I think mine were just confused though.