Thursday, June 07, 2007

Eight Things Meme

Tagged by Donna-Marie and Jen, I am supposed to list eight facts about myself or habits I have. Let's see...

1. Fact: I don't floss. I never have and don't think I ever will. How bad is that? My teeth are like stone. I've never had a cavity and I don't expect I ever will.

2. Habit. When afraid or distressed in any way I automatically recite the "Hail Holy Queen." Sometimes I realize that I am upset only because I notice that I am repeating the words to this prayer in my mind over and over again. There is something about the "To thee do we cry, poor, banished, children of Eve" that strikes a chord with me. When "mourning and weeping in this vale of tears," there is no better language to use and no better place to turn than to "life," "sweetness" and "hope."

3. Fact: I can still turn cartwheels. Despite my husband's less than sensitive plea to "not hurt myself," I proved this the other day.

4. Habit: I love to throw things away. Come here real close and I'll tell you a secret...I almost like it more than shopping... It's true, because when you throw stuff out you get something new (empty space) but unlike shopping, you don't have to pay for it. It feels so good to clear my home of broken or useless items that I sometimes get carried away and throw away things I shouldn't. Consequently, I can't understand the appeal of the Fly Lady. Why would I need some some lady who mysteriously calls herself a "fly" telling me to throw things out? I've often wished for some "Clutter-bug lady" to help me keep things or encourage me to buy things that seem so useless to me and burdensome, but might add warmth to my home or serve some purpose for others that live here.

5. Fact: I would like more children.

6. Habit: I pray in the shower.

7. Fact: I have recently realized that I walk through life in fear, as though the bottom will suddenly drop out from under me. I have no reason to think this way. We've had our share of challenges in life and I have often felt less than adequate for the tasks that God has asked of me, but we have always landed on what seemed a distant shore and, when there, I look back and feel silly for all my fear. I am like St Peter walking on the water and I need to keep my eyes on Christ and stop looking at my feet so much.

8. Habit: I have eaten a burger for dinner every Saturday night for as long as I can remember. Sometimes beef, sometimes a ground chicken burger with sage and garlic, sometimes with chips or fries or salad, but always a burger. Always on Saturday. Always.

14 comments:

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Wow! That was really nice, Suzanne! Thank you for sharing. I love your sense of humor too!

God bless,
Donna

Katherine in TX said...

Oh, this made me laugh, Suzanne. I've been looking at the Fly Lady site lately and am realizing that my tendency to pitch stuff has reached a steroidal level! Empty space is a good thing. LOL!

Kristen Laurence said...

#1. I wish I had your teeth. #2. I do the same thing with the Memorare. #7. Huh? #8. I remember that.

:)

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I love how you distinguish between fact and habit! That's so you, Suzanne! And as such, so very cute.

PS. FlyLady has been so named because she used to teach fly fishing and also because the letters FLY are an acronym for "Finally Loving Yourself."

PPS. I am lot like St. Peter, too. Is it because my mom was going to name me Peter if I had been born a boy? I don't know. I do know that I cry out "Lord, save me!" plenty of times in a day.

Cheryl M. said...

Suzanne, such a wonderful list! I should have included in my own list that we as a family have had hotdogs and chili with other garnishment as our Saturday lunch for the past 17 years! Please don't make me eat a hotdog any other time, but come Saturday lunch I can hardly wait...;)

Julie said...

How fun to read! I wish throwing things away were a habit for us... we really want to get there but it isn't always easy!

scmom said...

Great list, Suzanne. I too throw away. Sometimes to my detriment. I should have made that one of my 8 things, I have some good stories.

Erin said...

Great post! I am jealous of your teeth, I brush, floss, and Listerine every day and mine crumble like sandcastles.

Jane Ramsey said...

I wish I had your teeth, too!

With us, it is pizza on Saturday.

And I LOVE throwing stuff out, too. In fact, some of the worst fights my dh and I have had were due to me throwing out something he wanted to keep!

I would LOVE to have more children, too.

I also pray in the shower.

And I am going to pick up your habit of the "Hail Holy Queen"--I really need it right now, as I am in that "valley of tears".

Suzanne Temple said...

Oh Jane, I am sorry to hear that. I will say a "Hail Holy Queen" for you now.

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Suzanne,

I really enjoyed your list...I'm with you on #3, 5, 6 and 7 - I always thought #7 was because my childhood was so unstable...but you had a stable childhood, no?

Hugs to you!

newhousenewjob said...

Great list. My dentist asked me a few years ago if I flossed regularly and was a bit taken aback when I said, "No, I never have" - she said most people at least have the grace to lie about it!

I've tagged you for another one (http://newhousenewjob.blogspot.com/2007/06/personal-policies-meme.html) - I have a feeling I'd really enjoy your answers on this.

Ryan M. said...

#1: Wow. Yeah, that's pretty bad. ;-)
#3: I never could turn a cartwheel. But I'm not sure that I ever really tried. More of a girl thing, I suppose. Too late to start now.
#4 & 5: Same here!
#7: This one is especially striking. I'm 32, but it's only in the past year or so that I've started to realize how much fear lurks beneath the surface. It's just part of the human condition. It seems to me that one reason our culture is so full of distractions is that they help us to keep our fears at bay (not a truly effective method, but a popular one). Lately, I've noticed more that "Fear not" is a frequent theme in scripture and tradition.

Suzanne Temple said...

Ryan, Good points. "Fear not" indeed.