Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Getting Walked On

Last night, I ran a late errand to buy socks. (Why is it that I am ALWALYS buying socks?) I spent about $60. I guess that wasn't just on socks. I did pick up a few extra items, but nothing I can remember. What I do remember is that I did NOT buy the adorable child-sized leather chairs I saw or the pricey hamper I wanted, so to me it was $60 for [boring ol'] socks. Socks are a big expense around here.

When I returned home, I went into the boys' dark rooms to place the new socks in drawers. The boys were all sleeping. Upon entering the little boys' room, the floor suddenly started to move beneath my feet. It was like walking on water and every time I stepped again to catch my balance another wave rolled under me. The room was perfectly dark and for a moment I was completely confused and would have been even more bewildered if I weren't so busy trying to stay on my feet.

That's about when I remembered that Simeon was sleeping on the floor of this room in a sleeping bag so as not to share a room with Alex and hopefully avoid getting sick. As understanding set in so did distress as I aimed in the dark, hoping to step OFF of my son.

Once on solid ground, I hunched down and looked for his head which was at the opposite end of where I tried to look first.

"Simeon, Simeon, are you OK? I am so sorry. I forgot you were there."

He groaned.

"Simeon, are you OK? Does it hurt? I need you to say something," I pleaded.

He groaned again and I wondered if he were even awake but then he managed to say,

"It's OK. You can walk on me."

Well, I wasn't exactly looking for that kind of permission, but I was glad to see that he was fine.

10 comments:

Love2Learn Mom said...

Aw, too funny. I can totally picture that happening in our house. My almost 12 year old son often sleeps on the floor of the girls' room in order to listen to stories with them at night.

Jill said...

Aww...what a sweetheart!
I love that you have so many boys that you are stepping on them. :)

Elise said...

It must be a boy thing - we are CONSTANTLY buying socks - what on earth are you doing with them, son? :)

Ruth said...

We've done this many times. We still don't have a room to ourselves after 18 years of marriage. For some reason, the kids love sleeping on the floor. Very cute!

Johane said...

You have the sweetest kids! They are truly adorable. :D

Beck said...

I think my son eats socks. He certainly doesn't eat food....
Poor Simeon.

Erin said...

I have given up on socks entirely. It is ridiculous how many I used to go through, and I just have me.

Cheryl M. said...

Yep, our boys eat socks...seems we're always looking for a certain pair or color...how hard is it to keep whites, khakis, and blacks separated in the dresser......

Kristen Laurence said...

Too funny!

Ken Wills said...

My boys have adopted Crocs as standard footwear. I even gave the boys a rhyme "Crocs don't need socks." to help the them not wear socks with the Crocs.