Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Goodbye, the Game

Nicholas' favorite thing to do these days is to put on his father's shoes.

He digs through Jeremy's drawers first and gathers whatever important items he can find--a set of keys, a bill fold, a broken watch, a ball point pen. He takes these and jumps into Jeremy's shoes-- still wearing his own.

"Goodbye," he says to me carrying off his important, man things-- the broken watch dangling from his wrist. "Going work," he explains and shuffles toward the door.

I play it up, "Oooohhh, you're off to work now? OK, see you soon. Bye now. Love you!" He's pleased that I play along, but shuffles on without looking back... around the corner... and out of sight.

"Goodbye!' I holler, "Goodbye!" he repeats.

"Goodbye" I say again trying to keep the game going, but this time he is beyond hearing. He is gone.

Oh sure, it's all fun and games for now, but this boy (my baby) is practicing for life and I have a feeling I will be the last to shout "Goodbye" when he leaves home for real, too. And then I won't find him sleeping in a corner of the house, later, still wearing his father's shoes and clutching a watch that has-- long ago-- lost track of the passage of time.

8 comments:

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Beautiful post, Suzanne!

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Beautiful sentiments, Suzanne! I sure know that feeling! They are just SO PRECIOUS and we need to enjoy every minute with them and somday with bittersweet emotion allow them to leave the nest...but we are ALWAYS THE MOM no matter how old they are!

Cheryl M. said...

Beautiful game and post, Suzanne. Yes, the game does turn real-life and yes, you will be the last one saying goodbye...:(

Mom of boys said...

This is Philip's favorite game as well. He puts on a backpack, stuffs it with his "work", and puts on Dad's shoes. With keys in hand, he waves goodbye and tries to unlock the door.

Heartwrenching!

Elise said...

I'm laughing as I picture you shouting "Goodbye!" over and over to a tall young man, leaving for college. As he shuffles out the door and mumbles, "Bye."
So sweet.

betty said...

It seems that almost as soon as they arrive we have to start learning to let go!!

SEIZE THE MOMENT!

melanieb said...

Beautiful. Thank you for the smiles.

Goslyn said...

Oh, Tom is going through this too. You made me cry.

Beautiful.