Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Potty Talk

Here's the potty we picked up for Zachary. This thing is a stitch! It is called the "Fisher Price Royal Potty." As you can see, it's designed to look like a miniature throne, but the best part is the music! When a "contribution" is made, this little seat will play one of four regal tunes!

Dun-duh-nun-nah! Dun-duh-nun-nah! Dun-duh-nun-nah!

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I'm not fond of plastic in general and even less of plastic that makes noise, but Zachary has been adamantly opposed to anything potty for the last several months. I hoped this and the Thomas the Tank Engine Underwear might warm him up to the idea.

Did it ever.

As soon as we took his throne out of the box, he took the crown. He sat himself down and called for his "privacy." We, his loyal subjects, retreated to the kitchen where we kept a listening ear.

That's when the trumpets blared in all their electronic and sovereign glory and we all came running to pay our homage. He was the proudest I've ever seen him.

I told him, "When Mama and Papa heard the music we said to each other in the kitchen, Zachary has done it!"

Pointing to himself he replied, "And I am Zachary!"

"That's so great, Zachary," Jacob added.

To which His Highness was moved to respond warmly, "I love you, Jacob."

It was a moment of unparalleled triumph for the whole Royal Family.

* * *

As for training tips, I don't have any. But I can recommend that you keep a fat roll of paper towels handy, maintain the patience of Job, and be prepared-- at any moment-- to get wildly excited about things most other people prefer not to think about.

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, how I would love to have heard that entire exchange in person. Such unbelievable sweetness!

~m2~ said...

so. precious.

:)

Cheryl said...

This is a riot! I love your recommendations.

Cheryl M. said...

Good Luck!! The musical potty and Thomas undies will do the trick - I'm sure of it!!! :)

melanie said...

haha! This is so funny, because we are starting potty training today. Our plastic potty is different...but also musical!

Kelly said...

That is very funny! I am not looking forward to that stage although, diaper free, sounds really good. I love how proud he was of himself! I will have to remember this magical thrown next year.

Maryan said...

LOL -- great story!! Yay for Zachary. Incidently, we have the same royal potty!! But we must not have "blue blood" because it didn't do the trick for us. The jingle stopped working because my batteries even went dead -- but not from overuse -- from old age.

Aimee said...

Sometimes I wish we could carpet the house with paper towels, especially during potty time. We mostly just tried to keep The Boy somewhere "wipeable" - it worked out pretty well!

Meredith said...

this is hysterical!! I love it, we may just have to get one of these, what a hoot!! Whatever works, right ;) Blessings to you and your little King!!

Cath said...

Congratulations!

We have the Thomas underwear, too. However, they must be worn backwards so the young man can actually see Thomas. Unfortunately whatever upset his system over the weekend has him firmly back in pull ups and I can't get him out of them.

Michelle said...

I think having a good carpet shampooer also helps to keep these days sane and less stressful.

Beck said...

We've got that potty, too! It's not working for The Baby, though - she's always tossing toys in it when she wants to hear the triumphal trumpeting but shrieks "no WAY!" and runs when we suggest using it for things other than toy storage...

mopsy said...

That is priceless.

Jane Ramsey said...

Funny, Suzanne! Hooray for Zachary! I hope he keeps that excitement going.
No great tips here, either, although I love Dr. Sears advice: don't even attempt potty training when they're in a "negative phase" (meaning saying no all the time and fighting you on everything.) Other than that my philosophy is start them early and keep working at it every day!;-)

Anonymous said...

I hope this works, Suzanne.

Here goes . . .

Great post! We have the same hilarious musical potty (and a little one in training now!)

Love, Alice Gunther

Rachel said...

That is hysterical!

Kimberlee said...

My dear, that was genuinely hilarious. I will try to resist any temptation to purchase the Royal Wonderpotty (Do they come in pink?). Unless it plays Hail to the Chief or Fanfare for the Common Man...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Zachary!
Love,
Grandma