Friday, April 06, 2007

The Easter Dress That Wasn't

Yesterday, while I was out running errands, I saw the prettiest Easter dress. I took a look at the price tag and was surprised at how reasonably it was priced. Though I hadn't planned to buy a new dress this year, it was difficult to walk away from this one and so I found my size. The kind woman at the fitting room doors greeted me with a smile.

"What a darling dress," she said.

"Isn't it, though?" I said admiring it again.

"Oh yes," she continued, "The colors are so fresh and bright and work really well with your complexion."

"I thought so," I said.

Just a few moments later I handed her back the fitting room tag AND the dress.

"That's not going to work," I said.

"Oh no? Too bad. It looked so good on the hanger. What was the problem?" She asked.

"That was the problem," I said. "I am not a hanger."

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I think I tried on that dress!! It really is a shame that there aren't more affordable options for women who don't spend all their free time doing crunches. On the bright side, I saved some money this year!!

Melissa

Crafty Mom said...

Why does that seem to happen so often??

I think that the people who make the plastic models in store windows need to reshape their models to look like the traditional mom's body. Of course, I have a feeling they would see a huge decline in sales.

Beck said...

Yeah, I'm not very hanger-like, either. You would think that we're not that rare a body type, but perhaps there are many women out there content to wear unflattering clothes.

Ambrose said...

You know, it isn't just the clothes you buy in the stores. I recently had two dresses made here in China, you know, to my precise measurements, and I still look like me, and not the model in the Marc Jacobs runway show. :-(

Suzanne Temple said...

It looks like I'm in good company!

Karen E. said...

I don't even have to go to a store to hav the experience ... I think the dresses in my closet are telling me I'm not a hanger ...

Mary Ellen Barrett said...

Oh, I am so glad to hear this. I thought I was the only one. I tried on a pretty spring dress and looked like a float in the rose bowl parade. Very depressing.