Saturday, March 24, 2007

Giving Up the Naps

I'm going to tell you something I wish someone had told me years ago: A child who is giving up his nap and has gone several days without one will suddenly be unable to fight it any longer and will fall into a deep sleep wherever he happens to be at the crashing point. A very deep sleep. This may be in a cute position on the carpet or couch, but may also be out of sight-- under the kitchen table, behind the couch, or in the toy box.

So, before you search rooms in a growing panic, run outside with your heart in your throat screaming your child's name at the trees, begin to imagine all manner of horrors, or reach for the phone to call the police...look under that pile of throw pillows, behind the door, under the bed, and in the cupboards. You may just find a very sleepy toddler.

10 comments:

Johane said...

This little fellow looks like he is more than tuckered out. Looking at their position, it's a wonder the 'fall' face first didn't wake them!

Aah! To sleep like that and wake up fully rested. One question, do they wake up fully rested? Or do they do like my little girl and wake up completely insulted that their body completely crashed in mid-play?

Mary Poppins NOT said...

Oh, I have had this happen with the last 3 children. I think I refused to let the first 4 give up naps, control freak that I am. But I have loosened up with the last three, and have had my share of running around the yard, walking around the block looking for my child who was really peacefully slumbering under his bed. Now I know.

Anonymous said...

My older son began giving up naps at the tender age of 18 months and totally gave them up at age 2. He HATED to go to sleep during the day. I required that he have a period of quiet time in his room for an hour or so after some stories because we both needed the break. I have a couple pictures of him having fallen asleep amid his toys. It always reminded me of Garfield the Cat's "nap attack"!

faithemmanuel said...

Yes, my sister also a mother of five boys, has had the police over a couple of times due to this. I absolutely love these pictures.

Ruth said...

This is too funny. You always have the greatest posts about your children. I love it!!!

ascozyasspring said...

They are so cute! I love the squishy little faces and little legs tucked under.

Matilda said...

Precious!

Beck said...

That is so very, very cute.

Jamie said...

So sweet! Thanks for sharing! I like your new look!!

Alice said...

I love these photos! ADORABLE!