Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The World Upside-Down

Nicholas has been putting himself for naps. I thought it was funny a few days back when I mentioned a nap and he ran ahead of me to put himself down so that I couldn't. Later, when Simeon and I were reading together on the couch, Nicholas walked by all scruffy-faced and bed-heady from the nap he had just gotten himself up from. Simeon greeted him, "Well Hello, Mr. Independent."

Again today, when he was struggling to put on a coat and go outside to sled with his brothers, I simply said, "Oh Nicholas, I think it would be better if you had a nap." He took the coat off, hung it on a hook, and went up to bed without a word. Later, he woke up and joined Zachary to play in the living room where I was reading from a science book with the three oldest boys.

The warmth of the wood stove in the slowly dimming light, and the quiet stillness of the children as I read in the lateness of the afternoon beckoned me to sleep. Just ten minutes, I thought to myself and ordered everyone to read to themselves. I let my head fall on a throw pillow and as I was about to fall asleep I heard someone very close to my face say "bank-ette." I opened one eye and there stood Nicholas holding up a blanket with one arm and attempting to wrap it over me with the other. There was the baby putting his mother for a nap!

11 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

Awwwwww....that is so sweet! And what a good Daddy he will grow up to be--so nurturing.

Katie said...

Okay- what's the trick?! I would love it if even one of my children would put themselves down for a nap every day. Nevermind the fact that my children aren't exactly "napping age"... they are almost 6, 8 and 10. Come to think of it, I would be satisfied if they would just put me down for a nap - and they could take care of themselves QUIETLY for a while in the afternoon. AHHHH! Sounds wonderful! Nevertheless - Good for you! I am sure (after having been reading your blog over the past couple weeks) that you deserve it!

Suzanne Temple said...

Katie, no tricks. It is all just a part of his sudden and insatiable desire to prove he's a big boy, now. I hope it lasts.

Goslyn said...

And what a big boy he is! This post made me both proud and sad. My little boy is turning into a big boy right before my eyes, too.

Suzanne Temple said...

I know just what you mean, goslyn.I have all those same feelings.

Cheryl M. said...

so sweet! :)

Mom of boys said...

My 2 year old likes to put various stuffed animals/dolls down for naps. Each afternoon, we are hard pressed to find an unoccupied bed!

Kristen Laurence said...

Very sweet. It is wonderful when they begin appreciating nap-time!

lapazfarm said...

That is so sweet!

Jane Ramsey said...

Sweet!

MaryM said...

That picture in my mind is just too cute.