Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Six Months Ago Today...

...Simeon pulled our shower curtain rod out of the bathroom wall. This happened at a time when it seemed the boys were determined to break every last thing we owned and I was feeling rather desperate about it. So, what I did I do? I wrote about it. I sat down and gave in to a desire that had been floating around in my head for some time, but that I had been resisting. I started this blog.

"Blessed Among Men," I called myself because truly I was-- even if I needed to be reminded of that fact. I posted "When The Curtain Falls" those six months ago and though nobody read that post but my husband and myself, it changed my perspective. Suddenly, I saw humor in what was an otherwise very frustrating incident.

In these last six months of blogging, I have been surprised and happy to also find perspective, encouragement, inspiration, and-- I believe-- real friendships. I have "met" so many wonderful people through this small cyber spot and I believe sincerely that these are true friendships. Certainly they are different than face to face friendships, existing as they do in the fair weather of the blogosphere, but that doesn't mean they aren't real. Certainly I have more faults and failings than you will find chronicled on this blog, but it isn't my faults that make me who I am.

I try to capture in this space those things that are worth remembering, worth sharing, whatever is good and true--those things that are most real about any of us--the things that endure. It has been a very humbling experience trying to come up with something along these lines to write about every day--some days I have been more successful than others, but the effort itself has proved worth my while.

And I have received so much from all of you. If you are in my sidebar, it is because you have given me something real. Something to think about, to do, to aim at, to hope for, or even just laugh about...and for this I am grateful. I have received from others of you, too, that do not have blogs of your own, but have left encouraging comments and I thank you also, because it is my readership that brings me back here day after day.

And I thank, in a special way, my sisters Helene, Danielle, Christine and my dear friend, Kristen (who is as good as a sister) because your kindness and encouragement in the early days of this blog are the only reason that it is still here today and, if only for me and my family, "Blessed Among Men" has been a great blessing.

Thank You!

21 comments:

Rachel Swenson Balducci said...

And you are a delight to read! It's nice to know we're not in this adventure alone. Keep up the good work, Suzanne.

Ken Wills said...

I have always enjoyed your blog. I found it while doing a search for Catholic Home school in a blog directory. I am very glad I did. I have now started my own and have yours and several others in your blog roll to use as models. Although I am away from the house most of the day, I hope to chronicle our family's life experiences in a manner similiar to yours. Thanks for sharing your many talents and virtues with us.

Cheryl M. said...

Suzanne, know that you and your blog are loved! :)

Kismet said...

I found you through my daughter and I am so glad I did. I love your real writing style and your honesty and the obvious devotion to your family.

~K!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Happy 6-month Blogiversary! You are a blessing among men and blogging women alike!

One of my very favorite comments came at the time of my own 3-month blog anniversary. In answer to my speculation of "Is this blogging business worth it?" came this response, posted by Alicia (Love2Learn Mom), who was quoting Fr. Hardon. (Did you get all that?)

Here's the comment/quotes:

"To be convinced of the value of writing, if only a few words every day, is to have made a giant stride on the road to sanctity...

Writing disciplines the mind. Left to ourselves our thoughts are nothing less than a jungle filled with wild animals. Our most important duty in life is to master our minds, to control our thoughts...

Every thought leads to a desire. Every desire leads to a habit. Every habit shapes our character. And our character determines our destiny. It all begins in the mind...

Writing is a proved way of lowering oneself in one's own estimation. There is no way known for more surely and effectively growing in humility than by writing...

We cannot write without thinking...

We should write for the practice of charity in sharing our souls...

What God in His wisdom and love has shared with us, keep a record of that. Share that wisdom and love with others by writing it down."

Forgive my blatant re-gifting, but there you have it--some strong words of encouragement for when there may be blogging doubt.

We love you.

M in M

Cheryl said...

I love reading your blog. Happy 6 month anniversary!

Paula in MN said...

Happy Anniversary! I haven't commented alot, but I have enjoyed reading your blog for the last few months. Thank you!

Ouiz said...

Happy 6 monthiversary to you! You have a fantastic blog... I visit quite often.

God bless!

Love2Learn Mom said...

Me too, everything they all said. :)

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

You bless us as well, Suzanne!

Btw, I love the part in this piece where you say, (paraphrasing here) "...it's not my faults that define me....".

It's so JPII!!!!

Mom of boys said...

Thank you for your delightful entries! I also find so much inspiration in you and other moms whose home lives and goals for raising children are similiar to my own.

You know, I think that in a lot of ways, blogging is like modern day pen pals.

Erin said...

I was thrilled when Janelle showed me your blog -- over the past years I have thought of you often, and I am so glad to be able to be in contact again with one of the most wonderful women I have ever met. Your writing is always a delight to read!

forget me not said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
forget me not said...

PS Happy 6 month anniversary!

Beck said...

I enjoy your blog so much and I'm so glad that you started blogging, even if it was out of sheer frustration!

Karen E. said...

Yup, yup, me too, me too ... we love you!

Ann Horan said...

Thank YOU, dear friend.

Although I feel little left out sometimes because I don't blog, or leave many comments, I too feel many real relationships in the blogsphere. It is like the relationship you have with a great book, one that inspires and moves you and shapes your life.

Cay said...

Happy Anniversary.
I love your blog. It's funny and comfortable and beautiful and ALIVE! :)

Kimberlee said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad you so graciously share your family with us.

Kristen Laurence said...

Happy Anniversary, good friend. I don't go a day without visiting, and, though it's been three-and-a-half years since I've seen you (sigh), I feel like we're just as in touch as ever! God bless your next six months!

Suzanne Temple said...

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments.