Friday, February 23, 2007

Shish

To mark the passing days of Lent, we made this string of forty fishes. The fish-- a symbol of Christ and a reminder of Lenten abstinence-- seemed the perfect shape. There are forty, one for each day of Lent, which is itself symbolic of Christ's own time of preparation and also the years the Israelites spent wandering in the desert. We chose to make them in the appropriate liturgical color, purple, to show that our efforts are united to those of the whole Church. The shimmery quality of their skin is both decorative and symbolic of our desire to "reflect" Christ.



We hung them in our sunroom where their shimmery skins would best reflect the light.


Each of these fish has a letter P, F, or A on its back for prayer, fasting, or almsgiving. Each day, when we draw a fish off the string, we take note of the letter and make it the focus of our day. For example, if we draw a fish with an A on its back, we make almsgiving the focus of our Lenten observance for that particular day. The children might do chores around the house for payment that they then put into our rice bowl.


After the fish has been drawn, it is placed in the basket below. We pray by the basket that Lord will multiply our fishes (our efforts) for the greater good of all.


The boys have really taken to this activity. Even before breakfast in the morning, a fish has been drawn, is in the basket, and everyone is yapping about the day's focus. I suppose it is early on, but the enthusiasm is quite promising.

N. B: Oh, and the title of this post is what Nicholas calls them.

22 comments:

Karen E. said...

What a great idea!

Pete or Kathryn said...

And your book will be coming out when???

Kathryn

Cheryl M. said...

Your "shish" are the perfect teaching tool for 5 little boys! Hey, we should all practice a little more "shishing." :)

Dawn said...

Wonderful, Suzanne!

Erika said...

I second the book idea. Where do you get these ideas? They are wonderful.

4andcounting said...

Excellent idea. You are full of them it seems. Thanks for sharing with all of us lacking in creativity.

lapazfarm said...

Super idea, as usual! Filing this one away for next year!

Mom to Almost Four said...

I love it!!!! I love the creativity of all us moms out there. What a book we could al write together. I too plan on filing this idea.

Beth said...

What a great idea! May the Lord continue to bless you abundantly

angela said...

This is wonderful, Suzanne! Perhaps, you could use the basket then for Easter treats.

Beck said...

That idea is fantastic. I'm going to put it in my notebook for next year's Lent!

Kristen Laurence said...

This is awesome!

Bridget said...

That's it Suzanne!! I have had enough of your creativity!! I have plans to kidnap you until your book is finished.

Suzanne Temple said...

OR, bridgit, you could just do the dirty work for me AND find me a publisher.

Alice said...

Beautiful, brilliant, and incredibly perfect for boys--my son would go crazy over this! (So would my daughters actually!)

Bridget said...

If you are serious then its done. Just give me the green light.

Ruth said...

This is excellent!!! I need to make another trip to the craft store : )

Suzanne Temple said...

Go for it Bridget! Email me if you find anything.

Bridget said...

Wait....do I have to put it all together or just peddle your wares to publisher's?

Suzanne Temple said...

bridget,
suzanne.temple@gmail.com

Kelly said...

I love it, Suzanne! Filing away for next year:)

Carrie said...

I just discovered your blog and I love it! I want to add you to my sidebar ...if you don't mind. Love this idea we going to try it too.