Monday, February 05, 2007

Restless Hearts


This was a simple project, but very rewarding. I call it "Restless Hearts" because we used the traditional Valentine theme to illustrate an important theological truth uttered by the great St. Augustine. Speaking to the Lord he said, "Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee."

First we cut out the hearts. Then I had the boys choose one, write their name on it, and also write three things that they love. They listed things like friends, snow, tigers, sunshine, ice cream, and tennis. Then I asked each boy individually why he loves the things he listed. For example, Simeon loves ice cream because it tastes good and Alex loves snow because it is fun to go sledding and make snow balls.

Then I asked if any of these things we love could make us happy forever. Could we eat ice cream and nothing else for the rest of our lives? Wouldn't we grow tired of snow if spring never came? The boys agreed that while they love these things, none of them alone would make them happy forever.

Then we talked about how God made all these things and how what we love about ice cream, snow and even one another is found in God. In fact, EVERY good is found in God and that is why He alone can make us happy forever.

I told them that while reading about tigers, eating cookies, and playing tennis are all very good and well, we eventually grow tired of these things, but we will never grow tired of God. The heart without God is forever searching for something new to fill it up, growing tired of that thing, and searching again. But the heart that has God has all things and can finally rest.

To symbolize our hearts "resting" in God, we taped them to the center of white heart-shaped doilies. The white heart at the center of the doily stood for God and His love for us. When we fastened our hearts to God, the lace that then surrounded them symbolized the grace and virtue that adorn a heart resting in God. Then we taped our resting hearts to our bedroom doors and wrote the words of St Augustine below. For added flair we put up some restless, floating hearts as well. Don't worry, we didn't write any names on those.

16 comments:

Katie said...

I love this activity idea! Thanks for the suggestion - And yours turned out so beautifully- all hung on the door with the verse below! Blessings - Katie

Jamie said...

Love this idea! Thank you, I will also have to do this. That is one of my favorite quotes!

Dawn said...

Such a lovely activity, Suzanne! Thank you for sharing it. :)

Cheryl said...

I love it!

Jane Ramsey said...

What a beautiful idea! It really gets the point across in a way that kids can understand.

Karen E. said...

Perfect! I love it!

jerseygirlmama said...

How sweet! Although mine are a little young... we will have to do this someday. And on a purely secular note, it looks sweet to have some pink in your house! I know a few little boys who would not have stood for it, even for hearts.

4andcounting said...

What a fantastic idea! I might try this with my big girls. Thanks for sharing it.
That is one of my favorite quotes too.

Jennifer in TX said...

Suzanne,

What a lovely and meaningful craft--and it looks so pretty on your door! I love that quote from Augustine! God bless you!

Suzanne Temple said...

Thank you, everyone! Let me know if you do it.

Beck said...

What a beautiful idea - I've always loved that quotation, and I LOVE the idea of doing a craft around it! I'm going to plan on doing that with my daughter this afternoon!

Ruth said...

Suzanne, I love this idea!!!!! We are going to do this today, since today is a snow day. Thnks for sharing this.

Ann Horan said...

Alright! Another great idea I can pirate with a all the thinking done for me.

Teresa said...

Awesome! I think we have a St. Valentine's day activity! I have a very romantically minded 5 year old daughter, who has been wistfully looking at the jewelery flyers with pink heart diamonds, etc. that have been cluttering my mailbox lately, while speaking of her future husband. She (and I!) will appreciate this.

Donna Marie said...

ooooh!
I loooove object lessons like this!! Thank you so much, Suzanne for sharing your creativity!! I am excited about doing this with the kiddoes! I was just looking for a creative thing for the wall for this month...now I know!

products said...

China Wholesale has been described as the world’s factory. This phenomenom is typified by the rise ofbusiness. Incredible range of products available with China Wholesalers “Low Price and High Quality” not only reaches directly to their target clients worldwide but also ensures that wholesale from china from China means margins you cannot find elsewhere and buy products wholesaleChina Wholesale will skyroket your profits.wedding dressescheap naruto cosplayanime cosplaycheap Gemstone Jewelry