Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Farmer Boys


In honor of Laura Ingalls Wilder's 140th birthday today (thanks Cay!), we started reading our favorite book of hers again. Also, we had a real Farmer Boy style breakfast for dinner. I went for the Wilder breakfast menu because I thought it would be easier to make on a whim and more generally appreciated. Pictured below are just a few of the necessary ingredients.

Not pictured here were the butter, whipping cream, molasses, brown sugar, eggs, and shortening I used to make buttermilk pancakes, sausages and gravy, hot baked apples, steel cut oatmeal, and pumpkin pie. There was plenty of sugar, butter, cream, molasses, and real maple syrup on the table as well. I don't know what the surgeon general would say, but I'm certain Nina Plank would endorse us. After I made all this food, it occurred to me that we could have just gone out to eat at Cracker Barrel, instead. Then I remembered what happened the last time we were there, and I was glad we stayed home.

And here's a picture of the table I took without realizing that I was holding the camera over my own steaming plate.


We were all too full to eat this pie. But we did have the sugar cookies the boys made from the extra pie crust. Then we filled the kettle on top of the wood stove with water, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. We warmed cider, popped pop-corn, and gathered round the hearth...

...to read all about that hardworking American boy, Almanzo Wilder, drinking cider and eating pop-corn beside his family's hearth.

This was so much fun and the perfect respite from our dull and dreary cabin fever, we might just have to make it tradition.

18 comments:

Cheryl M. said...

What a feast! I'll be knocking on your door tomorrow morning for coffee and pumpkin pie!

Kristen Laurence said...

This looks so warm and yummy for wintertime! Farmer Boy by LIW seems perfect for you and your boys!

MaryM said...

Your little Farmer Boys look like they had a wonderful treat.

Matilda said...

That sounds wonderful! We might have to try that next year. Did they really eat pumpkin pie for breakfast back then or was that your addition to dinner?

Beck said...

Oh my goodness, that's so much fun! I think I'm going to make my kids a big over-the-top breakfast today, too.

Pete or Kathryn said...

This is also our favorite book and we love to cook "Farmer Boy" style while reading it. Enjoy!!!

Kathryn

Goslyn said...

Yumm! What time is dinner?

What a fantastic way to beat the winter blahs.

Jill said...

Add this post to your new cooking blog when you and Kristen get it up and running. (maybe with recipes too!)
What a cozy evening. Wish we could join you!

Mary Ellen Barrett said...

What a wonderful day! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Kelly said...

I love it! Your guys look so comfy and cozy:)

Jane Ramsey said...

Wow! What a feast!

Faith said...

Farmer Boy is my favorite too!!! Can't beat all the talk of food.:) I love this idea.

Melissa said...

Sounds delightful--what a great idea!

Cay said...

Wow! You celebrated Laura's b-day the way it should be celebrated. How clever. :)

meredith said...

We love Farmer Boy, what fun!! Yummy baking too!

Ambrose said...

Did anyone put popcorn in his milk? I seem to remember Almanzo doing this?

Suzanne Temple said...

Good question, Ambrose, but Almanzo only talks about how good it is to put pop corn in milk, he doesn't do it. Not in the narative, anyway. So we just talked about it, too.

Elena said...

This is the perfect weather for the hearty feasts of Almanzo and his family! Sounds like you all had fun!!