Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What's Left to See

There are some things in our lives that are so familiar that we fail to see them anymore. Sometimes it takes a new angle or a fresh pair of eyes to point out the detail that has been right in front of us for so long. We all know that.

But this doesn't apply to our children, right? I mean, really, we wake them up in the morning and put them to bed at night (or they wake us up in the morning). We feed them. We've changed their diapers; what's left to see? We have lived with them their entire lives and almost all they know--they have learned from us. What don't we know about them? Right?

Well, if ever I had imagined that I know all there is to know about my little ones, I would have ceased today when I saw Zachary practicing with scissors and paper for the first time. He was having a hard time and was mostly tearing the paper. He was having a hard time, I noticed, because he was holding the scissors in his left hand.

Hhmmm...

I placed a pencil before him, wondering. Sure enough he picked up the pencil and began to draw with his left hand just as he has always done and just as I have seen him do again and again and again--without ever really seeing that he's left-handed.

It makes me wonder what else I'm missing.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Both my husband's parents are lefties, so I've been on the lookout for that...but my 4th child was at least 6 months old before I realized she had a birth mark on her right hand. And she was a week old before I noticed the "stork bite" on the back of her neck. I didn't even count her fingers and toes when she was born.

My oldest child writes with his right hand, and throws a ball with a right hand, but he bats lefty. Every baseball season I have to remind him to tell the coaches that he does it like that...his first season he was dutifully trying to follow their instructions to bat righty and I had to run over to correct them (over and over again). he gets it from my husband who is a righty, but fences (you know, with swords) lefty. Bizarre.

Suzanne Temple said...

Michelle,

My mother is a lefty--though they "made" her into a righty when she went to school. I have one left-handed brother and Simeon is left-handed. Poor kid used to erase everything he wrote, as he wrote it, on the Montessorri lap chalk board I had for him.

Like your husband and son I am right-handed and throw a ball with my right hand, but in gymnastics, I am left-handed. Very strange. Add this to our recessive attached earlobes and I think we have enough fodder to develop hang-ups. BTW, I checked the boys and they ALL have those recesive earlobes--something else I didn't notice!

I'm glad to hear other mothers are late to see things, too, now and again.