Thursday, January 11, 2007

Weird Things Meme

If the content has been a little thin here at B.A.M. lately, I do apologize. The truth is that there have been some non-virtual goings-on here that have required my attention and consumed much of my thought. I hope to write something of more substance soon, but until then please indulge me in this meme. The wise and talented Renee from Crazyacres, one of my favorite cyberplaces, has tagged me to name six weird things about myself. So here goes...

1. I'm crazy about Lima Beans. Love them. Love them. Love them. Don't worry, though, I don't like Brussel Sprouts.

2. Despite excellent balance and good gymnastic training in my youth, I am accident prone. My oldest brother was once teasing me about this very fact and saying that corporations should hire me to walk through their facilities in order to reveal all hazards and potential liabilities. After defending myself rather eloquently, I promptly tripped on a nail and fell on my duff.

3. A little research into phobias tells me that I have a touch of amaxophobia (fear of riding in cars) especially on the highway, claustrophobia (fear of enclosed spaces), and acrophobia (fear of heights).

As a side note, I also learned that I most certainly do not have clinophobia (fear of sleep), cyberphobia (fear of working on computers), or papaphobia (fear of the pope).

Also, I got a laugh out of the word meaning "fear of Greek terms": Hellenologophobia (Couldn't they have used Latin roots for that one?)

And lastly, the word meaning "fear of long words": Sesquipedalophobia (that's 18 letters folks!)

4. I sometimes experience "brain freezes" for no apparent reason. Suddenly, I just can't remember the name of someone I know very well, the birth year of one of the children, the proper use of quotation marks, or where I left my head. Luckily, these usually pass in a matter of minutes. Ok, maybe hours.

5. When I laugh really hard (which is often), tears stream down my face. People often mistake this for crying. It's embarrassing to have people become concerned about you when you're just enjoying yourself. "No, no" I have to say, "What you said was very funny. I'm laughing. I'm not crying."

6. My earlobes are of the recessive attached variety.

10 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

The content is NEVER thin here. And are you planning on tagging anyone for this "wierd" meme?? Some of us are wierder than others!

Gabrielle said...

Suzanne, are recessive attached earlobes truly genetic? Is there any possibility they are caused by lima beans? :)

Karen E. said...

I'm quite sure I have:

opposite-o-clinophobia (fear of sleep)

Ruth said...

This is hilarious! You are too funny. I really enjoy your blog. I visit it daily. God bless.

Michelle said...

I have attached ear lobes too. All the kids were checked immediately upon birth for this "abnormality" by my husband who was happy to note that all the kids have "normal" hanging ones like him. Our grandchildren, though, just might all end up with attached ones. {insert evil laughter}

Both my husband and I have cleft chins, another recessive trait, which we've passed on to all the kids. The boys all have my blue eyes, a recessive trait. I'm spawning recessive beauties here.

Suzanne Temple said...

Kristen, consider yourself tagged if you'd like to be. I wasn't tagging because I noticed this meme has made several rounds in the past and I didn't want to double up on anyone.

That's very funny gabrielle, I'll have to look into it!

Ha! I thought of you, Karen, when I saw that one.

Thank you, ruth!

michelle, We need to start an earlobe club/support group.

Erin said...

Very interesting!

If I ever teach genetics again, I may ask for the rest of your family's earlobe info to use as a teaching tool!

helene said...

You forgot to say that when you visit someone you always leave a piece of laundry behind!

Erika said...

I must agree with Kristen! The content is never thin here. Moreover, it is always uplifting and enjoyable.

Johane said...

Thin? How could you say such a thing?

Lima beans? How could you like such a vile thing? ICK! Ick! ICK!

Brussel Sprouts? How could you not like the mini-cabages? Yum! Yum! YUM!

LOL

Johane, with what I guess is the very resessive "like brussel sprouts" gene, resessive blue eyes, and common ears, and more common tachophobia, claustrophobia and acrophobia... So you won't be finding me on a plane any time soon!