We have been focusing our attentions on studies these last few days and this cold weather arrives at just the right moment to encourage us to stay indoors with pencils and books and paint. We've had a few bumps and starts, but I am happy to report that things really are going well on the whole. Here are a few of the ups and downs (I'll give you the bad news first)...
1. When Alex forgot how to read words with short vowel sounds because he learned about long vowel sounds.
2. When I discovered that all the neat tricks Simeon was using to get the answers right on his math work were also ensuring that he was never actually practicing the math facts he needs to learn.
3. When I walked past a mirror today and the definition of "dowdy" stared back at me in horror. Oh well, we're not going anywhere, right?
1. Listening to The Marriage of Figaro yesterday afternoon and painting with the four oldest boys. Most people who hear I have five boys probably don't imagine that we listen to opera and paint together, but we do! It's certainly not all we do, but we do! I love homeschooling!
2. Sipping "Sweet Apple" tea with Simeon yesterday evening while reading all about that fateful Golden Apple that began the Trojan War. Simeon decided that, were he Paris, he would have chosen all three goddesses as "The Most Beautiful" and divided the apple into thirds. (He has a lot to learn about women and vanity and greed--Thank goodness!)
3. Today, when I asked Simeon to fill in this blank map of the United States, I did not ask him to illustrate it, but there you go...
He offered me some funny stories and facts about some of these illustrations. I would share them with you, but my husband just rented the new (as in 2007) series of the television hit "24." We are pathetic addicts even though we don't have television. He is standing outside the door beckoning me out...
"Chu-Ching...Chu-Ching...Chu-Ching.." Guess that means I don't have much time.