Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Real Life George Bailey?

My husband just directed my attention to this inspiring story about an inspiring young man. When the only grocery store in his struggling community closed, seventeen-year-old Nick Graham used the $10,000.00 plus that he had earned working on his uncle's turkey farm (and had been saving for college) to put it back in business--under his ownership. Watch the video. You won't regret it.

"I know what I'm gonna do tomorrow, and the next day, and the next year, and the year after that. I'm shakin' the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna see the world. Italy, Greece, the Parthenon, the Colosseum. Then, I'm comin' back here to go to college and see what they know. And then I'm gonna build things. I'm gonna build airfields, I'm gonna build skyscrapers a hundred stories high, I'm gonna build bridges a mile long..." --Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey, It's a Wonderful Life.

8 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

And did you notice he's from Minnesota? :)

Diane said...

With all the bad things that we hear about kids today, it is great that the media spot lights a kid like this.I beleive that there are many "Good Kids" out there that go unnoticed while the media goes after the minority of "bad apples"

Johane said...

That is great! Such an inspiration.

Love2Learn Mom said...

That is awesome! Funny too, because it reminds me of the small town theme in Cars which I just saw for the first time last night.

Matilda said...

Good kid--- look for him to be a great man someday!

I don't mean to hi-jack Suzanne's combox here, but my husband and I were having a conversation the other night about what to predict or expect from this generatiion of kids being raised by their grandparents. I had just come home from exercising where there was a conversation going on by these women who were now taking care of their grandkids and all of the other people they knew also taking care of their grandkids. I would guess that most of these women were older baby boomers whose own kids couldn't handle being parents and/or grown-ups, so now the grandparents are left with the job. I couldn't help but think that these were the people who raised the kids who couldn't be grownups, does that bode well for the next generation being raised by this same group? This young man's story inspires hope. Maybe the boomers have learned some lessons that they will pass on to their grandkids; things they didn't know their first time as parents.

Suzanne Temple said...

I did notice, first thing MinM and I thought of you!

I agree, diane.

You raise some interesting questions and make some very good points, matilda.

Goslyn said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

~m2~ said...

brilliant - there should be more stories like this in the news. it is heart-warming.