Saturday, January 06, 2007

I...

...give up.

If ever you are idle and there is an open invitation by the ever-inspiring Dawn to invent a list of ten items you idolize beginning with an identical letter, and if you are inclined on impulse to take the invitation though you have been issued the letter "I" and you have an inkling the task may prove impossible... do not be an idiot or worry that you may be impolite but immediately inquire after a new letter or risk injury to your imagination.

Indeed, it is no illusion, the letter "I" is inherently negative. It's prefixes (in-) and (il-) and (im-) all serve to negate and thus issue an innumerable and ignoble list of words....

Ill-bred, ill-famed, illogical, illegal...and that's just the icing.

Indecisive, incompetent, inconsistent, incomplete...

Inferior, insult, indelicate, infection, inflamed...and so on ad infinitum.

If the negative ideas become insufferable, if they are driving you insane, or if their influence is inducing insomnia...inhale slowly and take a break.

If, in that interval, your husband interrupts...

Honey, I just found this on the kitchen counter and I thought, at first, it was a grocery list because it begins with ice cream and Irish Coffee but then lists infants, The Iliad, and igneous rock???


...give up. And write a post, instead, including ninety-five (or more) indiscriminate words beginning with the letter "I."

[Incidentally, I do not mean to implicate Dawn in any way or imply that she has inflicted any injury. Indeed, I would insist on her innocence as this has been a most interesting incident. I only wish I could have initially imparted the tale in increments of iambic meter.]
*

16 comments:

Kismet said...

I'm impressed!


~K!

MaryM said...

I am intrigued by the ingenuity and intelligence of this inspired installment.

Kristen Laurence said...

Ha! This is exactly why I did not ask for a letter. But you turned a time-consuming challenge into a work of art! I love it.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Incredibly ingenious.

Love2Learn Mom said...

I love it!

forget me not said...

Interesting, inspiring and infinitely intelligent post Suzanne. See, not all words beginning with I have negative connotations!

Cheryl said...

oh! the cleverness of you!!

very fun post.

Dawn said...

*I* love it, Suzanne! :)

Ann Y said...

Suzanne, this is fantastic! I laughed so hard and loud that tears came to my eyes and my husband had to check me out!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Awesome!

Cheryl said...

Very funny :)

Jane Ramsey said...

I don't think you should have given up so easily! :-)
(iguanas, igloos, c'mon! What's not to love about the letter i?!)

Jane Ramsey said...

OH, and the big one around here: INDIANS!
(Just kiddning, of course. Your post was far more creative, funny, and enjoyable than any list!)

Suzanne Temple said...

Thanks everyone, and some great "i" words, too!

Diane said...

This was the best! It's brilliant. I laughed out loud and couldn't believe it kept going and going and going...

You are a genious, my dear, so very gifted with words. Thank you!

(was igneous rock really on the short list?)

Suzanne Temple said...

Ok, no, you got me Diane, "igneous rock" was a bit of an ebellishment.