Sunday, January 07, 2007

Happy Boar's Head!

We attended a traditional medieval Boar's Head Festival and Wassail Party in celebration of Epiphany at our very own St. Anne's Shrine for Mothers. It was a wonderful experience. The kind of wonderful that completely wipes you out and so I will have to wait until tomorrow to post anything more about it.

But before I sleep, I would just like to say that today was the Sunday of Sundays. For me, Sunday has always been bittersweet. It is about the sweet joy of praising God and resting in prayer. It is about respite from hard labor and the enjoyment of family. It is an appetizer for the heavenly banquet and a promise of good things to come. The only bitterness is that the next day is always Monday. That Monday, with its labors and obligations, looms over my Sunday evenings like a shadowy imp playing in the corners of mind.

This Epiphany Sunday, with the celebration of this grand festival, was so sweet that it set the bitter at an even sharper contrast. How hard it is to say goodbye to Christmas.

6 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun! I too feel the same way about Sundays, and the most difficult part is knowing my husband returns to work the next day. God bless, Suzanne, and Happy Epiphany!

Jane Ramsey said...

Suzanne,
I've always felt that "bittersweetness" about Sundays but didn't know how to put it into words. You have a wonderful talent for writing!

Goslyn said...

Ah yes, I de-Christmasfied our house yesterday, and it was so sad to stare at my bleak house and realize that the season is over.

I totally understand.

Ann Horan said...

I hear you! Mondays are always hard especially at the end of the holidays. The tree and decorations were supposed to come down first thing this morning so we could start a newly inspired school session. The tree is still up and I don't know if I can bear to undo it all. On the other hand, I would really like to get things back to normal - the Christmas chaos has yet to be managed.

Gabrielle said...

I am always so sad to take the tree down. I thought there was something wrong with me, but I feel better now.

Millie said...

Suzanne-
I agree about the bittersweet of Sunday's into Monday's. It is always hard to function on Monday for me. Sometimes a rainy monday gives me an excuse to put it off until Tuesday but I don't have your kind of committments awaiting me either. As for the Boar's Head Festival - we attended one in a neighboring parish - very well done - they pulled out all the stops.This was the first year it has not taken place in about 8 years. I love the glow of the tree lights and find it hard to give that up also. I love to lay on the sofa in the early morning hours before daylight with only the tree lit. Something about it is so serene and peaceful. MM