Monday, January 01, 2007

Catholic Devotions Meme

Thank you to my good friends, Alice and Cheryl, for tagging me.

1. Favorite devotion or prayer to Jesus?
Divine Liturgy-- In Latin or English, Tridentine or Novus Ordo, Eastern or Western, I love the Mass.

2. Favorite Marian devotion or prayer?
I have always loved the Catena Legionis of the Legion of Mary with the Magnificat and its Antiphon from the Canticle of Canticles, "Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in battle array?" I love the image, here, of Mary as a mighty and beautiful woman.

3. Do you wear a scapular or medal?
No. But nor do I wear a watch or any jewelry, but my wedding ring (and even that gives me eczema). I have tried all sorts of things at different times, but I just don't like the feel on my skin.

4. Do you have holy water in your home?
We used to keep it in the house, but we haven't for some time now. I don't know why we stopped.

5. Do you "offer up" your sufferings?
All.The.Time.

6. Do you observe First Fridays and First Saturdays?
No, I don't. That is not for us at this time. The two little ones are too difficult to manage through Mass. Sunday is enough for them. Our homeschooling group meets on First Fridays and provides a special mass intentionally for this special devotion. I love the idea, but I usually skip the Mass and meet for the activity afterward. Hopefully, one day, we will be able to attend the Mass, too.

7. Do you go to Eucharistic Adoration?
I love this devotion. I do not go regularly, but when I feel I'm at the end of my rope, I like to do what I call a "body and soul workout." I go for a run and then spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. It works wonders.

8. Are you a Saturday evening Mass person or Sunday morning Mass person?
Sunday morning. I love Sundays!

9. Do you say prayers at mealtime?
Yes, we do. At home and in public places.

10. Favorite Saint(s)?
St. Joseph, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine, St. Theresa of Avila, St Catherine of Sienna...oh, I can't stand to leave any out...all of you up there... I love you all!

11. Can you recite the Apostles Creed by heart?
I certainly hope so. I can say it in Latin, too...while blindfolded.

12. Do you usually say short prayers (aspirations) during the course of the day?
I do. My very wise oldest brother once told me that all you have to do is ask God for grace and He gives it to you. That's just the kind of God He is. That stuck with me and ever since, whenever I have a free moment in my mind, I say over and over, "Give me more grace. Give me more grace..please, God, give me more grace." Sometimes, I can feel it working...I think.

13. Where is your favorite place to pray?
In the shower. Well, at least that's where it most often gets done.

14. Bonus Question: When you pass by an automobile accident or other serious mishap, do you say a quick prayer for the folks involved?
We do.

Helen's bonus question: If you could visit any of Our Lady's apparition sites, which one would you choose?
Lourdes. Definitely, Lourdes.

I tag, Alicia.

3 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

>I do not go regularly, but when I feel I'm at the end >of my rope, I like to do what I call a "body and soul >workout." I go for a run and then spend some time >in front of the Blessed Sacrament. It works wonders.

I love this, Suzanne.

Cheryl said...

Suzanne, this is just beautiful! :)

Ruth said...

I love the Catena prayer. I have ben in the Legion of mary on and off ( due to having a few babies) for about 10 years. # of my children and I are in the Legion of Mary right now. That is such a beautiful prayer. God bless you.