Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Candlemas Fair

To Simeon, the elderly priest, the Virgin Mother offers her infant son who is Maker of the Law and its Fulfillment.

"Dismiss your servant now in peace, for my eyes have seen Thy salvation."

While others have little else than Groundhog Day to look forward to, we Catholics have the wondrous feast of Candlemas! I am now taking entries for the "Loveliness of Candlemas Fair" that will be hosted here on January 29th. You may post your entry links in this com-box or email them to the address in my sidebar.

In the meantime, enjoy the Candlemas art and poetry found here. I hope that it will get you thinking about your entry.
*

5 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

I always think of your Simeon on this feast. How wonderful that you are hosting this fair!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Thank you, Suzanne! Can you post the deadline for this fair (for those of us who NEED the assistance of a date looming overhead...)

Johane said...

I don't want to seem ignorant, but what is candlemas?? I've never heard of it before. Could be because I'm french... Different traditions, but as a practicing catholic, I feel at a loss...

Suzanne Temple said...

Johane,

The feast of "Candlemas" is also called "The Presentation of the Lord in the Temple." read more about it New Advent.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03245b.htm

Johane said...

Ah! La Présentation! Gotcha! :D