Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Santa Brought Us Our First Doll

Sometimes when Nicholas is quiet for a time and I realize that I haven't seen him for a while he isn't getting into trouble, believe it or not. Sometimes he's just found a quiet spot to read his favorite book, "See How I Grow: A photographic record of a baby's first eighteen months." He loves this book because he loves babies. Real babies, plastic babies, pictures of babies--he loves them all. He kisses them and coos over them, hugs them and carries them around under his little arm. Perhaps he is drawn to babies because he is the littlest boy in our family-- for now-- and has no one smaller than himself to love and care for.


(I said he wasn't getting into trouble, but now that I'm looking at this picture I'm wondering what that wetness is on his sweatshirt....hmmm.)

Nicholas loves babies so much that after some consideration as to the appropriateness, I decided to give him a boy doll for Christmas. After all, encouraging our little ones to love babies teaches them gentleness and compassion and lays the foundation for a full appreciation of chastity later in life. Little boys need this at least as much as little girls do. I won't be buying his doll multiple outfits and this doll has no hair to comb or style. It's just a baby to love. Besides, scenes like this one are just too adorable to resist.


Nicholas is a very good father, but he wants you to know, too... in case you are questioning his boyishness... that he loves his new mud-bespattered ATV just as much.


OOoooo, baby.

18 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

He is so sweet, and that muddy ATV makes me long for a little boy!

Jamie said...

You are such a good mother to "let" him play with babies...he is so precious. How sweet, thank you for sharing!

Matilda said...

Our littlest one got a baby boy doll for his 2nd birthday because he kept stealing his sisters. He doesn't play with them much, he just loves to hug them. The one he got had a pacifier that could be removed. His favorite game was to pick the baby up, pat him on the back saying "Awww, is ok baby?", then pull out the pacifier and make a loud burping sound. It was so funny to us because my husband has always been better at burping the little ones than I am. I guess he is a Daddy in training.

Johane said...

It is lovely to see such lovely young daddies in training!

Katie said...

My son was given several babies as a little boy - 3 in fact. And they were all at his request. The last one he named Jake Jr. (he is Jake Sr.). This baby showed up in a yellow sleeper, so pink wasn't an issue. His new little sister had baby dolls that had eyes that opened and closed and she wasn't willing to share :) Anyhoo, to this day, at the ripe old age of 11, when the new baby of the family wants to play with his babies, it is with the understanding that she is merely the caretaker/aunt. He is the daddy!

Cheryl said...

Such a sweet little boy!

Diane said...

Is that a Gerber baby? I still have an original Gerber that I had when I was a child.I think it is dated 1972. Though I had many dresses that my Gerber baby wore I was constantly reminded by my older brother that it was a Boy doll.

Sheila said...

I am one of nine, including six brothers, and my mother nursed each of us. It delighted her when her young sons would pick up a baby doll and pretend to "nurse" it. She gave a small soft doll to my very boyish son, who hugs and protects his "Baby." Good training!

Karen E. said...

I wouldn't question his masculinity for a second ... men who love babies are the best kind of masculine. :-)

What a sweetie he is.

Melissa said...

Such a sweet boy! And you are such a great mom. I think it's wonderful that you are nurturing his loving nature.

Suzanne Temple said...

Thank you, kristen, jamie, matilda, johane.

That's a sweet story, katie.

Thanks, cheryl.

Diane, it isn't a Gerber baby, it is a Graco baby and came in a car seat.

Thanks sheila, very sweet.

Thanks, karen and melissa.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

That book looks great. I've just requested it from our library and will say a prayer of gratitude for the Temples (esp. Nicholas) when we get it.

Heck, I'll say a prayer for you before that!

Goslyn said...

The Tominator was going to get a boy doll for Christmas, but I couldn't find one I liked. Where did you find that doll?

Suzanne Temple said...

goslyn, It's just a Toys R Us pick-up. Less than fifteen dollars. It is a "Graco" doll and comes in a matching car seat. Very simple. Very cute. Worth every penny.

Luci1 said...

Hey Suzanne,
So sweet! We got our 3 sons (ages 5, 3, and 1) a doll before the "real" baby was born and I think it helped the transition before the baby was born. For those who were asking about where to purchase, we found a doll (no hair) dressed in blue and green outfit w/a stuffed turtle for about 10 bucks at Wal-mart, if memory serves.

BTW, I'm enjoying your blog and am MOST impressed w/the pic of all your boys. I've given up on even a decent pic and would be quite pleased w/a silly pic as on Testosterhome!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cay said...

LOL

I laughed when I saw this...in spite of myself. ;)

Truly, little boys should play with dolls when they are little. If, for no other reason, it gives their mother a little nightlight into the father their little boy will become.

Ambrose said...

Has he named his baby? My son at 2 named his, "Offense."

Suzanne Temple said...

ambrose, that is way too funny. I could suggest "Defense" to Nicholas, but the other boys have already taken to "Joey."