Friday, December 15, 2006

Nativity


A few years ago, my father made this stable for our nativity set. He modeled it after the one that was in our home when I was a child (and I think it is still the one my parents use today).

He captured all the important details-- the slanted cross bar of the horse stall, the waved front of the platform, and the light that shines softly on the silent figures below.

Adding even more to the sentiment, he made the roof of this stable from the bark of trees that grow in the woods behind my parents' house where I used to play.



The animals: a donkey, a cow, a chicken, a horse, and a few sheep, are manufactured by Schleich. They are the perfect size for our set as are the Fontanini figures: Mary, Joseph, an angel, a shepherd, a manger and, of course, the Christ child.

This simple stable, so lovingly crafted by my father, captures all the magic of Christmas for me. When I look at it, I remember so well the days of Advent I spent as a child staring with wonder through this little window into the mystery of the incarnation. Now my children can do the same and I will stare right beside them. Thank you, Dad!


Gloria in Excelsis Deo!
* * *

12 comments:

4andcounting said...

That is beautiful. How neat that your dad made it for you. What a treasure for your family.

Michelle said...

I love this time of year - especially for all the memories of all the other years.

Kristen Laurence said...

That is beautiful, Suzanne. My girls love the Schleich animals too!

Cheryl said...

Oh Suzanne, it's just beautiful - what a treasure from your father. :)

MaryM said...

What a keepsake - there is so much of sentimental value to this lovely stable. What a treasure it will be always to your family.

Jody said...

I found your site through Jill and I'm a first time commentor. I just wanted to let you know that this nativity is so beautiful.

Suzanne Temple said...

Thank you, jody, thanks for visiting.

Blair said...

Beautiful Nativity! I love the way the Schleich animals look there, I might have to add them to my own Fontanini nativity, which also has a sentimental stable made by my sweet hubby :)

Jen said...

That is one of the most beautiful nativity sets I've ever seen. Your father did a wonderful job.

Karen E. said...

That brought tears to my eyes. How beautiful and touching.

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
So beautiful!
My husband made a wooden stable for our figurines also. Yours is very very lovely!
I had to giggle at your comment on my blog about the looking at WalMart parking lots this time of year! Good one! God bless and almost Merry Christmas too!
Suzanne from SincerelyMyThoughts

forget me not said...

What a beautiful nativity Suzanne. This is a big tradition here in Italy, although the scene is not limited to the stall, but it shows the countryside and hills and the inhabitants of the village as well. Some elaborate ones even have a babbling brook or a well or fountain in them. I have some pictures posted at my blog from a few days ago. The figurines here can be as lovely as yours, or they may be just little plastic people. but all are lovely no matter what.