Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

We took the boys to New York yesterday to see the Statue of Liberty, that beautiful symbol of American freedom. While they enjoyed all the transportation--the train ride into the city, the subway rides about the city, their first ever taxi ride and ferry trip-- we could not have picked a busier day to be in the city. The New Year celebration and unusually warm weather had attracted huge numbers of people. The crowds were so packed in the subways and on the streets that I feared we might lose a child. My heart was in my throat all day long and my nerves suffered some serious fraying. In addition to stress, the crowds created long lines. We waited for our security check before boarding the ferry for no less than two hours.


By the time we witnessed this spectacular view, I felt the words of the American poet, Emma Lazarus, engraved at the foot of the statue in a way I never have before. I felt very much among the "tired" and "tempest-tossed" of that "teeming shore."


And there she is, Lady Liberty.

(Jacob: Holding the torch)

After we landed on Liberty Island, took the tour of the museum and climbed all those steps to the top of the statue's pedestal with all the children, I was beginning to feel a little like "wretched refuse" as well. And when we were looking up into the inside of the statue and Simeon decided to go out on the balcony without telling us and we couldn't find him for a bit through the crowds and on account of the narrow passage of the balcony--so very high up off the ground-- I certainly felt among "huddled masses yearning to breathe free."


Ahhhhh....but, alas, it was a beautiful thing to see her "lift her lamp beside the golden door."


Happy New Year, 2007!
* * *

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

Neat! I would *Love* to go to New York! (with a guide!!)
Happy New Year, Suzanne! :)

helene said...

Superb! Spectacular!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

WOW! What a post with those great pics!

Happy 2007 to you and yours, dear Suzanne!

Cheryl said...

I love the sunset picture. Happy New Year!

Suzanne Temple said...

Thanks, Cheryl and Helene, Happy New Year to you, ladybug!

And Cheryl 2, I should give credit to my dear husband for that last photograph. It makes a terrific computer wallpaper if you want to try it. Click and save. It is simply amazing enlarged.

Gabrielle said...

Excellent photos! Happy New Year to you and your family, Suzanne!

Alice Gunther said...

I love your photos and good-humored narration of the trip. Emma Lazarus' poem is one of my all time favorites, and always moves me to tears. What a great country we have.

The boys look as if they had fun. I went to the Statue of Liberty for the first time at age 3, and I still remember it. It is a great experience for the children.

Happy New Year, dear Suzanne!

Jennifer said...

Great post. I love the photos. What a wonderful day. I can't wait until my daughter wakes up so she can enjoy them as well.

Heather said...

This is on our list of day trips for this year. Your pictures are great!!!
Blessings,
Heather

Millie said...

Oh wow, that really is absolute gorgeous picture of the sunset and Lady Liberty. May I print it and use it as the cover on my 2007 journal. Such an inspirational setting. Millie

Suzanne Temple said...

You may use the picture however you like, millie.

Johane said...

Happy New Year! It looks like it was a lovely trip and that it was generally appreciated by all - safe for probably the crowd control! The picture of the sunset is probably one of the best pictures I've ever seen of the Statue of Liberty. Please pass my admiration on to your husband.

Michelle said...

Happy new year! I think I'm going to put the Statue of Liberty on my to-see list this summer. But it is pretty stressful traveling with little ones...in crowds...

Ruth said...

Those are great pictures. It looks like the boys really enjoyed themselves. Happy New Year!