Saturday, December 16, 2006

Foreshadowing...

...is a literary device in which an author drops hints early in the plot as to what will develop later. Is there foreshadowing in real life events? You be the judge...

Just eight days ago I posted a picture of Zachary after a haircut. I titled this post, "Christmas Cut and a Lollipop Treat." Of course I meant haircut, but many commenters remarked that they thought Zachary had cut himself, some even imagined a trip to the emergency room, and many thought the lollipop was to comfort him after his injury. Well...

Begin creepy music

Poor little Zachary had a trip to the emergency room tonight after he fell in the breezeway and hit his head on concrete. He split his forehead open and it was clear, right away, that he would need stitches. He received three stitches and--please note-- a lollipop treat to comfort him afterward.

"You were very brave." I told him later.

"Thank you Mama," he replied, "You were very brave, too."

Well, I tried to be.

10 comments:

Johane said...

I have to say, I don't like foreshadowing... at least none of this kind. I'm thankful though that he didn't need any more stitches than the 3 he got.

God bless your little fellow, the brave little boy that he is, his mother - the tender heart that will feel those stitches long after they've healed, and the medical staff that have the training to stitch our daredevil kids back together when misadventure strikes.

Suzanne Temple said...

Oh, thank you, johane, I am always so grateful for doctors and nurses when this sort of thing happens.

Love2Learn Mom said...

Awww! I love what he said to you!

Ann Y said...

This young man knows his momma well!

jerseygirlmama said...

Poor little Zachary! What trauma at Christmas! Well, Zachary, my brother Matthew was trying to get a piece of fruit off our island in the kitchen on Thanksgiving morning 1985, when he lost his balance and split his head and then, the day before he started kindergarten, he was playing with our other two brothers (this was in 1989, by the way) in their room and he jumped off a dresser and hit his head on the youth bar on his bed. He has had stitches over 20 times! And like you he was always a brave little boy and now he is a 23-year-old man who will be graduating from college. So, I hope you feel better and have a Merry Christmas. I am sure that because you were such a brave boy, you will grow up to be big and strong like Matthew and make your parents very proud!

Karen E. said...

Oh, poor little guy! And poor Mommy. Sometimes it's harder on Mommy! My oldest had to have stitches when she was three (fell on an airplane as we were trying to board on overbooked flight.) It WAS hard for Mommy to be brave ....
:-)

Have a wonderful Christmas, with no more foreshadowing, please, unless it's the happy kind.

Suzanne Temple said...

Thank you love2learn and thank you ann.

jgm, your brother sounds like one of mine!

Karen, on an airplane? As though flying isn't stressful enough.

Matilda said...

I feel rotten since I was the first one to misinterpret that post! Sorry little Zachary!

It must have been a pretty nasty cut for them to have actually stitched it. Two of my nieces have both had run-ins with closet doors that resulted in having a head wound glued shut. Sounds weird, but true!

Suzanne Temple said...

Oh matilda , dear, it certainly isn't your fault. I have heard of the glue, but no, this needed real ol' fashioned stitches.

Mary Poppins NOT said...

I think it is harder on the mommy. Being brave is the part of mothering I didn't realize was soooo much a part of it.