Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Cup of Kindness

Yesterday, sometime between the third and fourth loads of laundry, the doorbell rang. The Fed Ex worker on the other side of the door handed me a box with my name on it and I could see that it was from a tea company. The first thing I thought of was a comment that had been left on my "Unpacked" post below and I thought to myself disbelievingly, 'Could this possibly be from a certain online friend?' Sure enough, when I opened the package there was a box with the words written on it, "Tea for two and two for tea. Tea for you, a gift from me." The note, inviting me to enjoy a cup of "calm," was signed by this certain online friend.

I put the baby for a nap, set the older boys up for some computer time and brewed this amazing blend of tea. I grabbed my copy of Divine Intimacy, and since I'm a little behind, I read the meditation for Gaudete Sunday. I drank in St Paul's words about "The peace of God which surpasseth all understanding..." as I drank this delicious tea in my newly unpacked living room.

This was, by far, the most delicious cup of tea I have ever had. Was it because this was my first experience with this kind of gourmet tea? (I think I'm hooked--Goodbye Gevalia, Hello Adagio) Was it because this was the first moment of real peace I have enjoyed in a very long time? Or was it because this was an unexpected gift from someone I admire? I think the answer is yes to all of the above. The only thing that could have made this experience better, would have been if, somehow, Elizabeth could have been in that seat beside me and the rest of you all around.

(Photograph: Courtesy of our resident eight-year-old photographer)

20 comments:

Ann Horan said...

Oh, lucky girl! You desrve this break. By the way, what flavor is the tea? I have been thinking of ordering some but I get overwhelmed at the choices.

Michelle said...

I received 2 surprise gifts this year. It's a wonderful thing.

Mom of boys said...

Those Adagio ingenuiTEAs are wonderful! (I first saw one at my Mom's over Thanksgiving and my husband so enjoyed it that I got him one from Christmas!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Oh my goodness, that is so sweet! Elizabeth is so sweet!

And you are very cute. :)

~m2~ said...

oh, i love a good cup of tea!! and you are absolutely adorable :)

thank you for your prayers today. i am hoping they will be working (soon...)

Margaret in Minnesota said...

It's me again.

Not only is Elizabeth sweet, she's helpful! I just placed an order for my very-hard-to-shop-for mother-in-law.

And an extra tin of Foxtrot for myself. ;)

Suzanne Temple said...

ann, did you catch that? Foxtrot is the flavor. Amazing!

MinM, I'm sure your mother in law will love it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't think this is a rude question but I'm curious how old you are? You look so youthful (and beautiful, btw)!!!

Suzanne Temple said...

I don't think it's rude. I've always looked much younger than I am. I didn't like it in the past, but now I'm thinking it isn't so bad. I will be thirty three in one week from today!

Matilda said...

So it is Adagio brand tea in the Foxtrot flavor? I might have to try it. Right now I am hooked on the Tazo brand of Decaf Chai Tea. Only one store sells it in my area and if they stopped, I think I would cry.

Cute picture of a cute momma!

Gabrielle said...

A well-deserved tea break, and not a cardboard box in sight! I'm so happy for you that you were able to accomplish all this before Christmas!

Jill said...

The whole scene of you sitting on the couch with that cute sweater and your cup of tea makes me even feel cozy!
Anonymous was thinking what I was thinking. I wouldn't have guessed you were 33. It's a good thing to look younger. :) At 29, I look about 18. Yesterday the bag boy at the grocery store asked if I was home for college for Christmas. He profusely apologized when he learned I was an old married woman with three kids. I said, "Don't worry a bit! This will serve me very well in a few years."
Anyway, love all of your entries as usual. I haven't commented on all of them, but I'm always reading!

Jill said...

...from college...typos...grrr...

Jody said...

Very youthful indeed! You look wonderful. Enjoy that tea.

Cheryl said...

So nice to see your pretty self enjoying a cup of tea :)

Kristen Laurence said...

That is so sweet! How wonderful. These online friends are so dear. And you DO look adorable enjoying your tea! Merry Christmas, Suzanne!

Lisbet said...

What a wonderful suprise! I recieved an anonymous gift a few weeks ago also, such generous friends! You look great too! I've always looked younger than what I am, and I'm starting to enjoy it! Enjoy your tea!

Karen E. said...

How sweet is that? You look so happy.
Have a blessed Christmas!

Karen said...

There is sacredness when one heart touches another in a most spontaneous way.
This is a witness for us women to heed that slightly quiet voice in our heads, to act on our intuition and follow through with a simple act of love.
Thanks to Elizabeth for heeding God's gentle voice.
God is good.......ALL THE TIME.
Praise Him.
Karen

Anonymous said...

So what's your secret to looking so young?